Effect of off-center mass on guide rails for acceleration

  • Thread starter Thread starter bsheikho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
bsheikho
Messages
51
Reaction score
4
Hi,

There is a mass that sits on a bridge between 2 parallel actuator (2 axis gantry), and slides on linear guides. If the mass is not centred, and close to one side of the drives, would that require that 1 of the actuators to put out more force? or would it always be even?

I figure you might get some uneven moment on the mass, but it would be balanced out by the guide rails. Though intuitively, I feel it would be require more force from one side in comparison to the other.

How could I figure this out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The force capacity for the guide's motor will be the same, although the moment stiffness requirement for one of the guides will be higher due to the distance difference to the CG.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bsheikho