Lifting a mass from a point that is offset from its center of gravity

In summary, the torque due to the offset will create an arm's length of force, but it won't add to the force needed to lift the mass.
Big Tommy C
TL;DR Summary
Does lifting an object from a point offset from is center of gravity incense force required to lift said object. Does torque that is countered add force required to lift a load?
Good Evening Everyone.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the physics involved with the example below.
At first i was looking at this as if lifting may create a lever of some sort, but I don't believe it has a fulcrum.
I am trying to find a formula (if there is one) for lifting a mass from a point offset the the center of mass.
Does the force to lift a mass increase with the distance of an offset lifting point such as this in the example below?
I know the offset force will create a torque, assuming the mass is captive in a track of sorts, in this case a roller guide, would it be safe to assume the torque is cancelled out and wont add to the force required to lift this mass?
This is with the assumption that the roller create negligible friction in this example.
Example.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mark the centre of mass on your diagram.
Extend the axis of the force being applied, until it passes the centre of mass.

The torque on the load, due to the offset, will have an arm length equal to the shortest distance between the CofM and the extended axis of the applied force.

You must counter that torque, with say, guide rollers and a vertical rail, in order to avoid increasing the load on the cylinder.

Likes Big Tommy C
Big Tommy C said:
I know the offset force will create a torque, assuming the mass is captive in a track of sorts, in this case a roller guide,
The offset will create a torque even if there are no roller guides. In such a case, the part will accelerate (rotation-wise).
Big Tommy C said:
would it be safe to assume the torque is cancelled out and wont add to the force required to lift this mass?
If some outside torque balances out the torque due to the offset (ex.: coming from roller guides), the mass doesn't accelerate (rotation-wise).
Big Tommy C said:
Does the force to lift a mass increase with the distance of an offset lifting point such as this in the example below?
No. (Assuming friction is negligible and that nothing locks up, i.e. everything stays perfectly straight.)

Likes Big Tommy C
Big Tommy C said:
TL;DR Summary: Does lifting an object from a point offset from is center of gravity incense force required to lift said object. Does torque that is countered add force required to lift a load?

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the physics involved
The key to wrapping your mind around the physics is to create a Free Body Diagram (FBD) (search the term). If you do that for two different length arms, your mind will be wrapped. We will be happy to assist you in doing this.

Likes Big Tommy C
IIRC, a garage or similar work-shop would deploy an adjustable lifting beam, such that 'unbalanced' load is shackled to the ends, but hoisting eye may be moved along beam to balance point by winding threaded rod.

61OGJT6bZ1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Due Care, Please ??

Likes Big Tommy C
Big Tommy C said:
Does torque that is countered add force required to lift a load?
Only when the moving parts are not perfectly aligned to be parallel in all planes.

Big Tommy C said:
I know the offset force will create a torque, assuming the mass is captive in a track of sorts, in this case a roller guide, would it be safe to assume the torque is cancelled out and wont add to the force required to lift this mass?
So long as all the surfaces that the rollers run on are vertical, the roller forces must remain horizontal, so there can be no vertical component of the roller force, that could change the force needed to support, lift or lower the mass.

Awesome, I understand now. Thanks for the help on this guys!

Likes Baluncore, Lnewqban and berkeman

1. What is the definition of center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions, causing it to remain in a state of equilibrium.

2. How does the location of the center of gravity affect lifting a mass?

The location of the center of gravity determines the stability and balance of an object. If a mass is lifted from a point that is offset from its center of gravity, it will cause the object to tilt and potentially become unstable.

3. What factors influence the amount of force needed to lift a mass from an offset point?

The amount of force needed to lift a mass from an offset point depends on the distance of the offset from the center of gravity, the weight of the object, and the force of gravity.

4. Can lifting a mass from an offset point cause any damage to the object?

Yes, lifting a mass from an offset point can cause damage to the object if it is not done carefully and with the appropriate amount of force. The object may become unbalanced and tip over, potentially causing it to break or fall.

5. How can the lifting of a mass from an offset point be made safer?

To ensure safe lifting of a mass from an offset point, it is important to calculate the amount of force needed and use proper lifting techniques. It may also be helpful to use equipment such as straps or pulleys to distribute the weight more evenly and reduce the risk of damage to the object.