Effect on air pressure and volume in an enclosed container

In summary: Can anyone able to provide me with some insights into whether this may be true?If there are any effect on the air pressure and volume, if the container is huge with air volume of say 10000L, would it cause a significant changes that might arise safety concerns?Yes, 10000 liters of air would exert a pressure of 10 bars.
falcon999
TL;DR Summary
I wish to understand if bubble formation in milk while being sloshed around, or the formation of separation layers will affect both the pressure and volume of the air head space above the milk
Summary: I wish to understand if bubble formation in milk while being sloshed around, or the formation of separation layers will affect both the pressure and volume of the air head space above the milk

Hi all : ) I have a basic physics question and sorry if its a very silly question:

Let's say I have a sealed, air tight metal container shaped like a rectangular box, containing non-homogenized milk and a compressed air on top with a pressure of 1Bar and volume of 1L resting on a flat ground.
When the container is tilted at an angle (10 degrees), will there be any changes to the pressure and volume of the air on top?

My intuition told me that the air pressure and volume in an air tight container will remain constant regardless of the container's orientation. Is this a right assumption?

However, someone told me that when the containers are not stationary, the milk will produce 'bubbles" which will affect the air pressure and volume. Also, when the container is stationary, the milk fats will separate and form layers comprising of different ingredients and fat contents, which will also affect the pressure and volume, especially if the package is moved around AFTER such separation has taken place.

Can anyone able to provide me with some insights into whether this may be true?

If there are any effect on the air pressure and volume, if the container is huge with air volume of say 10000L, would it cause a significant changes that might arise safety concerns?

Thank you very much!
reference.JPG
reference2.JPG

Wpu

Engineering news on Phys.org
falcon999 said:
When the container is tilted at an angle (10 degrees), will there be any changes to the pressure and volume of the air on top?

My intuition told me that the air pressure and volume in an air tight container will remain constant regardless of the container's orientation. Is this a right assumption?
Assuming uniform temperature, you are correct. How the air and liquid are distributed doesn't affect their total volumes and pressure (except hydrostatic, which shouldn't have much impact).

I agree the volume should first be considered as being constant.

But I also have a feeling that an emulsion of two immiscible liquids should have a very slightly higher volume than the individual separated components. I think there must be an energy advantage in separating the immiscible components, which suggests the components pack better when differentiated.

At the same time I understand that the buoyancy of the components will separate them by density into layers, which suggests separating an emulsion will release energy, energy that was invested during mixing.

1. How does temperature affect air pressure in an enclosed container?

As temperature increases, the air particles inside the container gain more energy and move faster, causing them to collide with the walls of the container with greater force. This increase in force results in an increase in air pressure inside the container.

2. What happens to air volume when air pressure increases in an enclosed container?

When air pressure increases in an enclosed container, the air particles become more tightly packed together, causing a decrease in air volume. This is because the increased pressure forces the particles to take up less space.

3. How does the size of an enclosed container affect air pressure and volume?

The size of an enclosed container has a direct effect on air pressure and volume. A smaller container will have a higher air pressure and a smaller air volume, while a larger container will have a lower air pressure and a larger air volume.

4. What is the relationship between air pressure and volume in an enclosed container?

Boyle's Law states that there is an inverse relationship between air pressure and volume in an enclosed container. This means that as air pressure increases, air volume decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the presence of other gases in an enclosed container affect air pressure and volume?

The presence of other gases in an enclosed container can affect air pressure and volume by changing the overall pressure inside the container. For example, if a gas with a higher pressure is introduced into the container, it will increase the overall pressure and potentially decrease the air volume.