Shock load due to high pressure gas flowing into container

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a large pressurized vessel to release gas into a smaller container and the resulting force and pressure on the container. It is determined that there is no need to consider additional stresses caused by the gas, and the worst case pressure rise should be calculated for stress analysis.
Sultan of Hel
Hello, I am new here so I apologize in advance if my question is not formatted as it should.

I have an application where a large pressurized vessel is releasing part of its contents (gaseous) into an "empty" container (air), much smaller, that is at atmospheric pressure. I need to know if the initial shock of the gas (nothing reactive) from the vessel flowing into the container would rip the container apart or rip it from the vessel, so I need to calculate the force (or an equation for the force) due to the high pressure air rushing in.

The vessel contains a gas (nothing reactive) at 150 psi absolute pressure (135 psig).
The container into which it releases said gas is at 15 psi absolute pressure (0 psig).
The orifice size is a circle of radius 2.
The shape of the container is as follows:
Cone going from 2" radius to 3-3/8" radius (4" dia to 7.5" dia)​
Cylinder at 3-3/8" radius (7.5" dia pipe)​
Cone going from 3-3/8" radius to 2" radius​
The total height, orifice to bottom of container, is roughly 11"
The volume of the container is roughly 0.17 cu. ft.
Assume acceleration due to gravity is negligible.
Assume the pressure drop in the large vessel is negligible (V_vessel >> V_container)

Where do I start? Volumetric flow, pressure differential equation (meteorological), etc.

Let me know if you need the surface area of the bottom and bottom taper of the vessel, or its "normal surface area" in the direction of the flow.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shock waves can be created by the flow of a gas at sonic velocity through a restriction in a pipe. But those shock waves are never so large that they need to be taken into account in any stress analysis of the parts. So when you have a vessel dumping a gas into a container and resulting in a sudden pressure rise of the container, there is no need to consider any additional stresses caused by the gas other than the resulting internal pressure. Just determine the worst case pressure rise in the container and calculate stresses as if they are static.

Q_Goest said:
those shock waves are never so large that they need to be taken into account in any stress analysis of the parts.
Thanks! And sorry for the delay :)

1. What is shock load due to high pressure gas?

Shock load due to high pressure gas refers to the sudden and intense force exerted on a container when a large amount of pressurized gas is rapidly introduced into it. This can cause significant stress and potential damage to the container and its surrounding environment.

2. What causes shock load due to high pressure gas?

Shock load due to high pressure gas is caused by the rapid release of compressed gas into a closed container. This sudden increase in pressure creates a shock wave that can lead to structural damage and potential hazards.

3. What are the potential consequences of shock load due to high pressure gas?

The consequences of shock load due to high pressure gas can vary depending on the specific situation. However, common consequences include structural damage to the container, rupturing or bursting of the container, and potential injuries to nearby individuals or damage to surrounding equipment.

4. How can shock load due to high pressure gas be prevented?

Shock load due to high pressure gas can be prevented by following proper safety protocols, such as using appropriate containers and valves, properly venting gas before introducing it into a container, and ensuring the container is able to withstand the pressure of the gas. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain containers and equipment to prevent malfunctions that could lead to shock load.

5. What should I do if I experience shock load due to high pressure gas?

If you experience shock load due to high pressure gas, it is important to immediately evacuate the area and seek medical attention if anyone has been injured. The area should also be secured and isolated to prevent further potential hazards. After the situation has been addressed, it is important to investigate the cause of the shock load and take necessary measures to prevent it from happening again in the future.