Simplest way to increase pressure in a container?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for increasing the internal air pressure of a container for an invention. The options include introducing more air, increasing temperature, or decreasing volume. One suggestion is to use a lever that acts like a French press and is kept in place by a ratchet. However, more details are needed such as the container shape, initial air pressure, desired final pressure, and rate of pressure change. Possible solutions mentioned include a bicycle tire pump, small CO2 cylinder, cardboard tube balloon pump, or a hypodermic syringe without a needle.
eryksd
I'm working on an invention which requires that I increase the internal air pressure of a container (while keeping it simple and cost-effective to produce).

I know my 3 options are to either: introduce more air into the container, increase the temperature, or decrease the volume.

One idea I had is trying to figure out a mechanism where the end user could simply press down on a lever, which would act similarly to a french-press (though the area being compressed would be air tight). There would be a ratchet to keep the lever from popping back up again due to pressure. Not sure if this would be the best approach.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to best tackle this problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your idea sounds good, but without highly detailed specifics of what you are trying to accomplish it is tough for us to answer with anything specific.

What shape is the container?
What is the initial absolute air pressure in the container?
What final absolute pressure do you require?
How quickly do you want the pressure to change?

+1
More info needed.

A bicycle tyre pump?
Small C02 cylinder as used to inflate bike/car tyres?
Cardboard tube balloon pump?
Hypodermic syringe without needle?

What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. In the case of a container, it is the force exerted by the gas molecules on the walls of the container.

Why would someone want to increase pressure in a container?

Increasing pressure in a container can be useful in several scenarios such as increasing the efficiency of a chemical reaction, storing gases at higher densities, or maintaining the structural integrity of a container in high-altitude environments.

What is the simplest way to increase pressure in a container?

The simplest way to increase pressure in a container is by decreasing the volume of the container while keeping the number of gas molecules constant. This can be achieved by either physically compressing the container or by increasing the temperature of the gas inside.

Can pressure be increased indefinitely in a container?

No, pressure cannot be increased indefinitely in a container. As the pressure increases, the gas molecules will eventually reach a point of saturation where they will start to behave more like a liquid than a gas. This is known as the critical point and varies depending on the gas being contained.

What safety precautions should be taken when increasing pressure in a container?

When increasing pressure in a container, it is important to make sure that the container is designed to withstand the desired pressure. Additionally, proper ventilation and safety measures should be in place to prevent any potential hazards from high-pressure environments.