Effective Removal of Titanium from Tantalum Crucibles: Tips and Techniques

• Thread starter 12stCDB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to remove a significant amount of titanium from a tantalum crucible without damaging it. The suggestion of using acids is mentioned, but there is concern that it may also dissolve the tantalum. The idea of heating the crucible is also brought up, but it is noted that the melting temperatures of titanium and tantalum may not be the most important factor. There is uncertainty about whether all of the titanium can be removed, and it is suggested that a new crucible may be needed.
12stCDB
I'm trying to find a way to remove a non-negligable amount of titanium from a tantalum crucible. I've removed as much as possible with tweezers, but there is still a reasonable amount in the crucible. I know that titanium is soluble in certain acids (hydrofluoric, sulfuric), but it's my understanding that tantalum is generally soluble under the same conditions.

If anyone has experience with this and can advise me on removing the titanium without damaging the crucible, I would very much appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the crucible for?
Ti melting temp: 1941
Ta melting temp: 3290 K

heat it up a lot, upside down? or while under exposure to incident energy source to induce Ti atom desorption.

One issue is that the melting temperature isn't really the relevant quantity so much as the vapor pressure (correct me if I'm wrong). My understanding is that within the low growth pressure range tantalum should start to evaporate at temperature around 1800 C, while titanium should evaporate in the 1500-1600 C range.

I think this is going to be a waste of time in the end, since there's no way of knowing whether or not all of the titanium has been removed from the crucible. Looks like we'll need to spring for a new crucible.

Related to Effective Removal of Titanium from Tantalum Crucibles: Tips and Techniques

What is the purpose of removing Ti from Ta crucible?

The purpose of removing Ti from Ta crucible is to prevent contamination of the final product. Titanium can react with other materials at high temperatures, altering the composition and properties of the product being produced.

How is Ti removed from Ta crucible?

Ti can be removed from Ta crucible through a process called chemical cleaning. This involves using a mixture of acids to dissolve and remove the Ti from the surface of the crucible.

What are the risks associated with removing Ti from Ta crucible?

There are several risks associated with removing Ti from Ta crucible, including exposure to hazardous chemicals, potential damage to the crucible, and the risk of contamination if the cleaning process is not done properly.

How often should Ti be removed from Ta crucible?

The frequency of removing Ti from Ta crucible will depend on the specific manufacturing process and the level of contamination present. In general, it is recommended to clean the crucible after every use to ensure the purity of the final product.

Are there any alternative methods for removing Ti from Ta crucible?

There are alternative methods for removing Ti from Ta crucible, such as using mechanical methods like sandblasting or polishing. However, these methods may not be as effective as chemical cleaning and can also cause damage to the crucible.