Effects of Crushing a Solid on Equilibrium Position

In summary, pulverizing a solid increases the surface area and, as a result, the frequency of collisions, which speeds up the forward reaction. The equilibrium will not shift, but the products will increase.
RoboNerd
Hi everyone.

So I have been learning about equilibrium recently in class... and suppose I have the following reaction:

A(s) + B(aq) <-----> C(aq) + D(g)

[Note: in parentheses, I indicate the state of my substances]

So I was told recently that pulverizing my solid "A" would not change the position of equilibrium as nothing will happen... but I recalled our unit on Kinetics which says that increasing the surface area of my reactants will increase frequency of collisions which will increase the rate of the chemical reaction.

So, my impression is that pulverizing A would increase the surface area and increase the collisions for the forward reaction. Thus, the forward reaction would speed up, and a shift to the products would occur with [C] and [D] increasing.

Will the equilibrium shift, or will it not, when I crush a solid, and most importantly, why?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What the backward reaction, will increased surface speed it up too, or not?

I believe it will not as the solid is only a reactant in the forward reaction and not in the backward one.

Would you happen to know if this is the case?

RoboNerd said:
I believe it will not as the solid is only a reactant in the forward reaction and not in the backward one.

Good point. But product has to be deposited and the deposition speed depends on the amount of available surface. Changing the are influences both the forward and the backward reaction.

So you are saying that both reactions will proceed in the same speed?

Wow.

We did not discuss deposition and deposition speed in class at all... so this is an unfamiliar concept for me.

RoboNerd said:
So you are saying that both reactions will proceed in the same speed?

No, the CHANGE in both speeds will be identical, and their ratio will remain constant.

Likes RoboNerd
Thanks so much!

But you are increasing the surface free energy of solid A. Should this not enter into equilibrium calculation?

snorkack said:
But you are increasing the surface free energy of solid A. Should this not enter into equilibrium calculation?

Interesting point. My bet is that if you compare it with everything else, the difference is negligible. Or, in the cases where it matters, when you have a mixture of crystals with any equilibrium allowing transport of the substance between them, smaller ones disappear while the larger ones grow, so the overall surface goes down relatively fast, reducing the possible difference.

Likes RoboNerd

What is equilibrium position?

Equilibrium position refers to the state in which the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical reaction occur at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in the concentration of reactants or products.

How does crushing a solid affect equilibrium position?

Crushing a solid increases the surface area of the solid, allowing more collisions to occur between reactant particles. This leads to an increase in the rate of the forward reaction, shifting the equilibrium position to favor the formation of products.

Does crushing a solid always shift equilibrium position to the right?

No, the impact of crushing a solid on equilibrium position depends on the specific reaction and the relative rates of the forward and reverse reactions. In some cases, crushing a solid may favor the formation of reactants and therefore shift equilibrium position to the left.

Is crushing a solid the only factor that can affect equilibrium position?

No, there are other factors that can also affect equilibrium position, such as changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants or products. The impact of crushing a solid on equilibrium position should be considered in combination with these factors.

How can the effect of crushing a solid on equilibrium position be predicted?

The effect of crushing a solid on equilibrium position can be predicted by using Le Chatelier's principle, which states that a system will respond to a stress imposed on it in a way that minimizes the stress. In the case of crushing a solid, the stress is an increase in the concentration of reactant particles, and the system will respond by shifting the equilibrium position to minimize this increase.