Equilibrium and indicator equation

• Thread starter haha0p1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the equilibrium will move to the right as the [In-] concentration increases. This is because the reaction will try to minimize the effect of the change, and so In- will be increased.
haha0p1
The equation for indicator is:
HIn ⇌H+ + In-
Which reaction (forward or reverse) will be preferred when I increase the Alkali.
According to me, The reverse reaction should be preferred as the reaction will try to minimize the effect of the change. Hence In- (i.e the conjugate base) will be increased as it will react with H+ to form HIn.
But the coursebook says that the position of the equilibrium will move to the right. Kindly explain why is that so?

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_212403.jpg
    IMG_20230121_212403.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 89
Chemistry news on Phys.org
How would the reverse reaction minimise the effect of the change?
How is [In-] increased by reacting with H+?

Not enough information to answer. Alkali what? Alkali salt? Alkali base?

haha0p1 said:
The equation for indicator is:
HIn ⇌H+ + In-
Which reaction (forward or reverse) will be preferred when I increase the Alkali.
According to me, The reverse reaction should be preferred as the reaction will try to minimize the effect of the change. Hence In- (i.e the conjugate base) will be increased as it will react with H+ to form HIn.
But the coursebook says that the position of the equilibrium will move to the right. Kindly explain why is that so?
The question should be in the homework section. I think it is a good question, deserving some attention by chemistry teachers. I think when I first met this subject at school I felt confused, the reason being what I saw as ambiguous expressions like "the equilibrium will move to the right" I was thinking of equilibrium as weights on a lever… but never mind.

Help yourself by writing out the equation for the equilibrium constant relating [HIn] to the dissociation products molarities [H+] and [In-]. "Adding alkali" means adding something like NaOH, I.e. essentially adding OH- to the solution, which will react with H+ there, and directly or indirectly with HIn (it matters not which) to do - what? So think again through what will happen – you have got it wrong.

I think it is better to work out your own way of thinking and talking about these things (which you are likely to meet again again) rather than someone else's way of expressing it.

1. What is equilibrium in chemistry?

Equilibrium in chemistry refers to a state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products over time.

2. How is equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

Equilibrium in a chemical equation is represented by a double arrow (↔) between the reactants and products. This indicates that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions.

3. What factors affect equilibrium in a chemical reaction?

The factors that affect equilibrium in a chemical reaction include temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and affect the rate of the reaction.

4. What is the equilibrium constant (K) and how is it calculated?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a numerical value that represents the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. It is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.

5. How do indicators work in acid-base equilibrium reactions?

Indicators are substances that change color in response to changes in pH. In acid-base equilibrium reactions, indicators can be used to determine the endpoint of a titration and to indicate whether a solution is acidic or basic.