Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of engine torque on engine to chassis mountings

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    I'm currently working on a design for a go-kart-like vehicle which involves some calculations. The engine used is a motorcycle engine and it is mounted to the main chassis via steel rods. I would like to know how the engine torque (i have an estimated value of ~45Nm) will cause stress and failure in the steel rods and if there are any formulas that be could used for this calculation.

This is my first time working with an engine and designing a vehicle so any help will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Why are you using steel rods? That doesn't seem like a very solid way to mount an engine. Seems like at the very least you should be using plates instead of rods.

Can you Upload a sketch of the chassis and the engine?

4. Apr 2, 2017 #3

Capture.PNG
    This is just one of the numerous designs I've found online. Do you mind explaining how the engine torque creates stress in the member connecting the engine to the rest of the chassis using this example?

(I don't have a definite design for now)

5. Apr 2, 2017 #4

berkeman

Do you have a drawing or pictures of the engine showing the output countersprocket and the engine mounting points? Which bike is this engine from? There should be some good drawings of the engine in its Service Manual if you have access to that.

The main forces you need to do a good job of supporting are the weight of the engine, and the torque transferred from the countershaft to the engine mounting points.

6. Apr 2, 2017 #5
    It's a Yamaha R6
    XXX_600EG0040Diagram.jpg

is this what you meant?

7. Apr 3, 2017 #6

berkeman

That's a start. Nice bracket fabrication, BTW. What about the other side? How are you going to attach those mounting brackets to your kart frame?

The R6 is about 110hp, right? That kart is going to be a handful... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted