Effects on earth from a heavier moon

In summary, having a much larger moon would have significant effects on Earth, including extreme tides and potential changes in the Earth's core temperature, seismic activity, and orbital path. However, it is also believed that our current moon has played a crucial role in maintaining Earth's stability and habitability.
Tomp115
Hello.

I'm trying to write a book of fiction about a place where there is a moon much bigger than the one we have.

The mass is probabbly at least double the one we have here circling earth. It could probably be called a case of double planets.

My question is: How would the planet be affected.

I know that the tides would be more extreme, but how extreme?

What else would happen?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot that could happen if the moon was heavier:

- The best way to approach this problem is to consider an extreme scenario like Europa (a satellite of Jupiter's). Jupiter is really big compared to Europa. The eccentricity of its orbit causes Jupiter to distort Europa (by stretching it different amounts). This stretching is what scientists believe may be the cause for all the "cracks" on Europa's surface (you should check out a picture of Europa on google). Also, this stretching might cause heating within Europa melting its the ice beneath its surface (creating a subsurface ocean).

- In the case of the Earth, we can exhibit the same sort of thing (though to a lesser extent). A bigger moon will cause much bigger tides for sure, but now the Earth is constantly being stretched by different amounts (depending on the Moon's position in its orbit). So rather than seeing it only in the tides, we would likely have the Earth's core temperature increase thus increasing the average temperature of the Earth as a whole. Increasing the Earth's core temperature will definitely cause more seismic activity (more earthquakes of larger magnitude, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, etc.).

- The effect might also be to cause the Earth's orbit around the Sun to be perturbed since the center of mass of the Earth-Moon system will be deflected (depending on how large we are saying the Moon will be).

- I can explain the real effect of the tides with mathematics and Newtonian physics if you would like. If there is anything else I can think of I'll get back to you.

Our disproportionately large nearby moon certainly gave Earth an early tidal nudge. But unlike Venus and Mars, our moon's gravitational influence also helped ensure that Earth's spin axis and climate remained stable over long timescales.
See Scientific America: Without the Moon, Would There Be Life on Earth?

What are the potential effects on earth from a heavier moon?

A heavier moon could potentially have a few different effects on earth, including changes in tides, changes in the length of day, and changes in the earth's rotation. Additionally, a heavier moon could affect the stability of the earth's orbit and potentially cause changes in the earth's climate.

How would a heavier moon affect the tides on earth?

A heavier moon would have a stronger gravitational pull on the earth, causing higher and lower tides. This could also lead to more extreme tidal fluctuations, impacting coastal communities and ecosystems.

Could a heavier moon change the length of a day on earth?

Yes, a heavier moon could potentially change the length of a day on earth. As the moon exerts a stronger gravitational pull on the earth, it could cause the earth's rotation to slow down, resulting in longer days.

Would a heavier moon affect the earth's rotation?

Yes, a heavier moon could potentially affect the earth's rotation. As the moon's gravitational pull on the earth changes, it could cause a wobble in the earth's rotation, leading to changes in the length of a day and potentially impacting the earth's climate and weather patterns.

What other impacts could a heavier moon have on earth?

In addition to changes in tides, day length, and rotation, a heavier moon could also potentially impact the earth's magnetic field and its relationship with other celestial bodies, potentially leading to changes in the earth's overall stability and habitability.