Efficiency of a PV module and solar thermal collector

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
says
Messages
585
Reaction score
12
Does the efficiency of a PV module and solar thermal collector go down as ambient temperature (outside temperature) increases? I know there are other factors that influence efficiency, but I'm only considering the one parameter of temperature on a PV module and solar thermal collector.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
says said:
Does the efficiency of a PV module and solar thermal collector go down as ambient temperature (outside temperature) increases? I know there are other factors that influence efficiency, but I'm only considering the one parameter of temperature on a PV module and solar thermal collector.
Most PV modules do lose efficiency as the temperature increases, but there are many different technologies and some are less affected than others.
The thermal collector will not lose efficiency in the collection itself, would probably gain efficiency. But it would lose efficiency, according to the standard heat engine laws, in the process of generating electricity.