Efficiency of Carnot Engine w/ 0.75kg Ideal Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 10K views
LOL! Well, I thought that too... But then it would have to have been curved... O_o I know you CAN calculate at any point the T because that is definitely a given on any Pressure versus Volume graph... So tell me, did I explain that part correctly now that we've cleared up the confusion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought your graph said 1-2 was a constant temperature line!

<Pulls my hair out>

None of it is constant temperature. You have to find the gas constant using:

[tex]PV=mRT[/tex]

Then do as you guys tried by going around the entire process.

You will find that [tex]T_H = 835.714[/tex]

and [tex]T_L = 390[/tex]

use that in carnot and you will get:

[tex]\eta_{th,rev} = 1- \frac{T_L}{T_H} = 1 - .4666 = .5333[/tex]

That was an AWFUL problem in my opinion.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
I got it! BOOOO

Oh darn it :-(

Now this is the part where you explain how you did it with your ever-knowing knowledge and mind.
 
Oh wait.. Now I forget something... T(h) would be the hottest temperature and T(c) would be the coldest?

I kept thinking initial and final O_o Explain it to me again
 
No, I just stole what you did. (with some refining) :smile:
 
Last edited:
Wow, thanks a lot!
I kept taking the inital temperature as the hot too!