How Long Does It Take for Pressure to Increase in a Punctured Container?

In summary: The correct ## \bar{v} ## does not involve the Avogadro number ## N_A ##, as you had). (The Avogadro number ## N_A ## is used in the conversion ## N=N_A n ## where ## n ## is the number of particles of air per unit volume).
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

A thin-walled container of volume 10−3 m3 is evacuated to a pressure of 10−7 mbar. The vessel is surrounded by air at 1 bar and 290 K. If a small hole of area 10−17 m2 is made in the wall of the container, how long does it take the pressure inside to rise to 10−6 mbar?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{dN}{dt}=A\phi = \frac{A<v> N}{4V}##
## \frac{dN}{N}=\frac{A<v>}{4V} t ##
##t=\frac{4V}{A<v>}\ln{\frac{P_2}{P_1}}##

However this requires us to know m and i can't see how to figure this out. Therefore i am assuming my solution is wrong...

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

A thin-walled container of volume 10−3 m3 is evacuated to a pressure of 10−7 mbar. The vessel is surrounded by air at 1 bar and 290 K. If a small hole of area 10−17 m2 is made in the wall of the container, how long does it take the pressure inside to rise to 10−6 mbar?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{dN}{dt}=A\phi = \frac{A<v> N}{4V}##
## \frac{dN}{N}=\frac{A<v>}{4V} t ##
##t=\frac{4V}{A<v>}\ln{\frac{P_2}{P_1}}##

However this requires us to know m and i can't see how to figure this out. Therefore i am assuming my solution is wrong...

Many thanks in advance
Your original differential equation is incorrect. You are assuming the effusion only goes in one direction is this problem (that is ok), but the equation should read ## \frac{dN}{dt}=\frac{A n \bar{v}}{4 } ## where ## n ## is the number of particles per unit volume of the outside air. (## N ## is the number of particles of air inside the container). This ## n ## is constant and does change. One number you will need is ## \bar{v} ##. Average speed ## \bar{v} ## in a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is given by ## \bar{v}= (\frac{8}{\pi}) (\frac{kT}{M})^{1/2} ## , editing: ## \bar{v}=(\frac{8 kT}{\pi M})^{1/2} ##, where ## M ## is the (approximate) mass of a molecule of air. Since ## N_2 ## has M.W.=28, and ## O_2 ## has M.W.=32 , using an average M.W.=30 is an ok approximation, even though the air is 78% ##N_2 ## and 21% ##O_2 ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Your original differential equation is incorrect. You are assuming the effusion only goes in one direction is this problem (that is ok), but ## dN/dt=A n \bar{v}/4 ## where ## n ## is the number of particles per unit volume of the outside air. (## N ## is the number of particles of air inside the container). This ## n ## is constant and does change. One number you will need is ## \bar{v} ##. Average speed ## \bar{v} ## in a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is given by ## (\frac{8}{\pi}) (\frac{kT}{M})^{1/2} ## where ## M ## is the (approximate) mass of a molecule of air. Since ## N_2 ## has M.W.=28, and ## O_2 ## has M.W.=32 ## \bar{M.W}=30 ## is an ok approximation, even though the air is 78% ##N_2 ## and 21% ##O_2 ##.

Oh okay, so will i end up with a simple linear relationship between t and N?

Physgeek64 said:
Oh okay, so will i end up with a simple linear relationship between t and N?
Yes. The pressure inside the container is small enough compared to the outside pressure that the rate of effusion into it is much higher than any effusion back out. And yes, the effusion rate into it will be constant. ## \\ ## And don't forget to include the initial condition of ## N_o ## that you start with already inside the container. ## \\ ## Just for an additional detail: In its entirety ## \frac{dN}{dt}=A (\frac{n \bar{v}}{4}-\frac{N \bar{v}}{4 V}) ##, and this second term on the right side can be considered small compared to the first term for this problem. (No need to solve the more detailed exact differential equation, because the second term is negligible here).

Last edited:
@Physgeek64 See also the additions to post 4 above. ## \\ ## Also one minor correction to the above: ## \bar{v}=( \frac{8 kT}{\pi M})^{1/2 } ##.

Last edited:

What is effusion?

Effusion is the process of a gas escaping through a small opening into a vacuum or a region of lower pressure.

How does effusion change pressure?

Effusion can change pressure by releasing gas molecules from a higher pressure region to a lower pressure region, causing the pressure to equalize.

What factors can affect effusion?

The rate of effusion can be affected by factors such as the size of the opening, the temperature of the gas, and the molecular weight of the gas molecules.

What is the relationship between effusion and the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. Effusion is related to this law as it involves the movement of gas molecules from a high pressure to a low pressure region, which can affect the pressure and volume of the gas.

How is effusion used in real life?

Effusion is used in various applications such as gas separation techniques, gas flow meters, and gas sensors. It is also used in industrial processes for producing and manipulating gases.