Eigen functions of momentum operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the eigen functions of the momentum operator and their belonging to the Hilbert space in quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that the functions must be square integrable and the integral of e^ipx does not exist over all space. Suggestions are made for alternative books on the topic.
esornep
Hello,
I am going through the book Introduction to QM by D.Griffiths. In the third chapter the book says the eigen functions of the momentum operator do not belong to the Hilbert space ... But the only condition that a vector belongs to the Hilbert vector space is
that the integral gives a value between intervals ... and the function we get is also giving a finite value ... i mean the constant remains ... please help and correct if i am wrong ... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because in quantum mechanics we require that the functions be square integrable, the integral of e^ipx over all space does not exist so it is not a member of the space of square integrable functions.

I'd advise dropping Griffiths' book though, it's a very bad introduction to qunatum mechanics imo.
Try Landau and Lifgarbagez' book or even Zettili's book.

the solution to the eigen function of the momentum operator is A*exp(ihx/p) where p is the eigen value which is satisfying the condition for the L2(a,b) space ... i.e., integral of the modulus of the complex number square which turns out to be A*2 ... which is less than infinity ... so y does it not fall in the L2(a,b) group ... ?

esornep said:
the solution to the eigen function of the momentum operator is A*exp(ihx/p) where p is the eigen value which is satisfying the condition for the L2(a,b) space ... i.e., integral of the modulus of the complex number square which turns out to be A*2 ... which is less than infinity ... so y does it not fall in the L2(a,b) group ... ?

I think you mean ##A \exp i px/\hbar##. In any case, this is square-integrable if the domain is compact. It is not square-integrable if the domain is ##\mathbb{R}##.

1. What are eigenfunctions of the momentum operator?

Eigenfunctions of the momentum operator are mathematical functions that represent the possible states of a particle's momentum. These functions are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and can be used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How are eigenfunctions of the momentum operator related to momentum?

The eigenfunctions of the momentum operator are directly related to momentum through the uncertainty principle. The square of the absolute value of the eigenfunction gives the probability density for finding the particle with a specific momentum value.

3. Can the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator be observed experimentally?

No, the eigenfunctions of the momentum operator cannot be directly observed experimentally. They are abstract mathematical representations that help us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions of the momentum operator?

Eigenfunctions of the momentum operator are significant because they play a crucial role in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They also help us understand the uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

5. How are eigenfunctions of the momentum operator different from eigenfunctions of other operators?

Eigenfunctions of the momentum operator are different from eigenfunctions of other operators because they represent a specific observable quantity - momentum. Other operators, such as the Hamiltonian or position operators, have their own set of eigenfunctions that represent different observable quantities.