Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,

I tried to find the Eigenstate of the angular momentum operator myself, more specifically I tried to find a Function [itex]Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)[/itex] with

[tex]L_zY_{lm}=mħY_{lm}[/tex] and [tex]L^2Y_{lm}=l(l+1)ħ^2Y_{lm}[/tex]

where [tex]L_z=-iħ\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex]
    and [tex]L^2=-ħ^2(\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta})+\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial^2\phi})[/tex]

These representations can be found here.
    Now lets look at the simple case of [itex]m=l=0[/itex]. The standard solution here is [itex]Y_{00}(\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi}}[/itex]. However, it seems like the function [itex]Y_{00}(\theta,\phi)=A\ln(\cot\theta+\csc\theta)[/itex] is as well a solution to the differential equations above, since [itex]\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \phi}=0=mħY[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}=-A\csc\theta[/itex] and therefore [tex]L^2Y=-ħ^2(\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}(-A \sin\theta\csc\theta))=0=l(l+1)ħ^2Y[/tex]
    Since [tex]\int_0^\pi YY^*\sin\theta d\theta[/tex] converges (you can look at the graph here) it is possible to find an [itex]A[/itex] that normalizes [itex]Y_{00}[/itex].

So where is the mistake? I did not find this solution anywhere.
    Thank you for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That function is singular at the poles of the sphere ##\theta = 0,\pi##. To do QM, generally we require the wavefunction and at least the 1st derivative to exist everywhere (2nd is good too), so we would not admit this as a possible wavefunction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook