1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue of Polynomial Transformation

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T:P2→P2 be defined by
    T(a0+a1x+a2x2)=(2a0-a1+3a2)+(4a0-5a1)x + (a1+2a2)x2
    1) Find the eigenvalues of T
    2) Find the bases for the eigenspaces of T.

I believe the 'a' values are constants.
    2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem I am having is actually pulling out the matrix for T. I know how to find eigenvalues (by solving det(λI-A) - A being the matrix) and from that finding the bases of the eigenspaces comes from substituting the eigenvalues into (λI-A) and performing elementary row operations to find the eigenvectors which form the bases.

What I have tried to do is separate the basis (1,x,x2) from the rest and come up with the matrix :
    2a0 -a1 3a2
    4a0 -5a1 0a2
    0a0 a1 2a2
    Am I on the right track here or am I barking up the wrong tree? If so what method should i follow?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    Well, sort of. You need to figure out which elements the polynomials [itex]1,x,x^2[/itex] get sent to by [itex]T[/itex]. Once you do that, put them into a matrix and proceed as you have described. So, if you put the polynomial [itex]p_1(x) = x[/itex] into [itex]T[/itex] what would come out "the other side"?

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PandaGunship! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    leave all the a's out! :wink:

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4
    Just to check, my matrix is correct?
    As per your direction, a0 goes to 2a0 + 4a0x +0x2 which I make into a column like the matrix I put it already?
    Thanks Tim :) I thought of leaving the a's out, but what of their importance? Are they just to show what each constant of the basis is mapped into?

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, your vectors will have a's. :smile:

(The 1 x x2 are just a basis like x y z …

you wouldn't expect x y z to appear in a vector or matrix, would you? :wink:)​

7. Mar 29, 2012 #6
    Well, I said to find out where [itex]p_1(x) = x[/itex] goes, and what you did was find where [itex]p(x) = a_0 [/itex] goes. I only mentioned to do it as an example, so its OK that you did it for [itex]p(x) = a_0 [/itex].

So, the [itex]a_0, a_1, a_2 [/itex] are there because you need to know what [itex]T[/itex] does to a general quadratic polynomial, and that is the form of a general quadratic polynomial.

Now, the three basis polynomials we are using are: [itex] p_0(x) = 1, p_1(x) = x, p_2(x) = x^2[/itex]. Now, for each of these basis polynomials, what is [itex]a_0, a_1, a_2[/itex]? As an example, for [itex]p_0[/itex] we have that [itex]a_0 = 1, a_1 = 0, a_2 = 0[/itex]. So, [itex]T(p_0(x)) = 2a_0 + 4a_0x = a + 4x[/itex]. So, you got it correct, but as Tiny Tim said, you need to get rid of the a's because for the basis polynomials they are all 1 or 0.

8. Mar 29, 2012 #7
    I suppose not :P Thanks :)
    Ok I understand properly now. In the beginning when I was going over this problem I thought that I must remove the a's but I didnt want to remove them 'just because'. I wanted to know that what I was doing was actually correct, even if my reasoning was a bit off the mark.
    Thank you both for your help:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook