Eigenvalue of position operator and delta function.

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an operator \overset{\wedge}{x} that satisfies \overset{-}{x} = <\psi|\overset{\wedge}{x}|\psi> and \overset{\wedge}{x}|x> = x|x>. It is proposed that <x|\overset{\wedge}{x}|x'> = x<x|x'> and that this can be proven using the definition of the delta function. However, there is confusion about the correct definition of the delta function, as some sources say \delta(x-x') = <x|x'> while others say \delta(x-x') = <x'|x>. The conversation ends with two questions: 1.
maser
I'd like to show that if there exists some operator [itex] \overset {\wedge}{x} [/itex] which satisfies [itex] \overset {-}{x} = <\psi|\overset {\wedge}{x}|\psi> [/itex], [itex] \overset {\wedge}{x}|x> = x|x> [/itex] be correct.

[itex]\overset {-}{x} = \int <\psi|x> (\int<x|\overset {\wedge}{x}|x'><x'|\psi> dx')dx = \int <\psi|x> (x<x|\psi>)dx = \int <\psi|x> (x\int<x|x'><x'|\psi> dx')dx[/itex]

So I concluded that [itex]<x|\overset {\wedge}{x}|x'> = x<x|x'>[/itex] and if we factor out x' I can get [itex]<x|\overset {\wedge}{x} = x<x|[/itex] but not [itex] \overset {\wedge}{x}|x> = x|x>. [/itex]

However, fortunately I could find a book saying,

"[itex]<x|\overset {\wedge}{x}|x'> = x\delta(x-x') [/itex] where [itex]\delta(x-x') = <x'|x>[/itex]. Then you can work out the result that [itex] \overset {\wedge}{x}|x> = x|x>. [/itex]"

I was confused by the definition of delta function in this book and confirmed [itex]\delta(x-x') = <x|x'> [/itex] in some documents on the internet. But I cannot convince myself that the definition [itex]\delta(x-x') = <x'|x>[/itex] is an error of the book, because the definition is used in the book many times. Furthermore the book don't have any ideas of hermitian operators.

Here, I come to have two questions.

1. [itex]\delta(x-x') = <x|x'> or <x'|x> ? [/itex] Which is correct answer?
2. How to prove [itex] \overset {\wedge}{x}|x> = x|x> [/itex] from [itex]<x|\overset {\wedge}{x}|x'> = x\delta(x-x') [/itex] without the properties of hermitian operator?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relation between [itex]\delta(x-x')[/itex] and [itex]\delta(x'-x)[/itex]?

1. What is the eigenvalue of the position operator?

The eigenvalue of the position operator is the value that, when multiplied by the wave function, gives the position of the particle in space. It represents the location of the particle in a specific coordinate system.

2. How is the eigenvalue of the position operator related to the delta function?

The eigenvalue of the position operator is directly related to the delta function, as the delta function can be used to represent the position eigenfunction. The delta function is a mathematical construct that is zero everywhere except at a specific point, making it a suitable representation for the position eigenfunction.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalue of the position operator in quantum mechanics?

The eigenvalue of the position operator is significant in quantum mechanics as it provides information about the location of a particle in space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in calculations to determine the probability of finding a particle at a particular position.

4. How is the eigenvalue of the position operator measured experimentally?

The eigenvalue of the position operator can be measured experimentally through position measurements. This involves using a device, such as a ruler or a position sensor, to determine the location of a particle in space and then calculating the eigenvalue using the position wave function.

5. Can the eigenvalue of the position operator be negative?

No, the eigenvalue of the position operator cannot be negative. This is because the position operator represents a physical quantity, and a negative position does not have a physical meaning. The eigenvalue can only take on positive values, representing the particle's position in a given coordinate system.