Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue problem with operators as matrix elements

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    Hello, I have a feeling that the solution to this question is going to be incredibly obvious, so my apologies if this turns out to be really dumb. How do I solve the following eigenvalue problem:

[tex]

\begin{bmatrix}
    \partial_x^2 + \mu + u(x) & u(x)^2 \\
    \bar{u(x)}^2 & \partial_x^2 + \mu + u(x)
    \end{bmatrix}
    \begin{bmatrix}
    a(x)\\
    b(x)
    \end{bmatrix}
    =
    \omega(x)
    \begin{bmatrix}
    a(x)\\
    b(x)
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

where all x dependencies have been declared. I know the definition of the function [itex] u(x)[/itex], but I need to solve for the eigenfrequency and eigenvectors.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2
    I assume that you mean to find the function omega of x? You need to specify, because it's unclear what you want. Is your use of del indicating a partial derivative or a directional derivative. Be specific.

4. May 15, 2013 #3
    Typo in question: [itex] \omega [/itex] should not depend on x. I want to solve for [itex] \omega [/itex], hence why I am calling this an eigenvalue problem. I'm not sure if getting w will also give a and b, like in a standard linear system.

[itex] \partial_x [/itex] indicates a partial derivative, which is standard notation in physics for this sort of problem. But the problem would be identical if you wanted to interpret that as a directional derivative (both because the problem is one dimensional and because the subscript x would suggest a derivative in the x direction).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook