Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions

In summary, the problem is to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a quadratic membrane with fixed edges and a flexible fourth edge in the shape of a triangle. The boundary conditions and attempted solution have been provided and the next step is to find the equation for k1 using the fourth boundary condition. A sum over all suitable values of m and corresponding amplitude factor may be necessary to solve the problem.
ted12

Homework Statement

Hello!

I don't know how to solve this problem: find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of quadratic membrane which is fixed in three edges. Fourth edge is flexible bended in the middle (at this edge membrane is in the shape of triangular). Surface tension of membrane is γ, mass of edge is m.

Homework Equations

So I have u(x,y,t). Boundary conditions are: u(x,0,t)=u(x,a,t)=u(0,y,t)=0 and u(a,y,t)=k(t)*y for y < a/2 and u(a,y,t) = k(t)(a-y) for a/2 < y < a, where k(t)<<1 (because of that I don't have to account change of length of edge).

The Attempt at a Solution

Till now I put first three boundary conditons in solved wave equation and got u(x,y,t) = sin(k1*x)*sin(k2*y)*exp(-i*omega*t), where k2 = m*pi/a.
I don't know how to write 4. boundary condition (triangular) to get equation for k1.

If anybody can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
ted12 said:

Homework Statement

Hello!

I don't know how to solve this problem: find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of quadratic membrane which is fixed in three edges. Fourth edge is flexible bended in the middle (at this edge membrane is in the shape of triangular). Surface tension of membrane is γ, mass of edge is m.

Homework Equations

So I have u(x,y,t). Boundary conditions are: u(x,0,t)=u(x,a,t)=u(0,y,t)=0 and u(a,y,t)=k(t)*y for y < a/2 and u(a,y,t) = k(t)(a-y) for a/2 < y < a, where k(t)<<1 (because of that I don't have to account change of length of edge).

The Attempt at a Solution

Till now I put first three boundary conditons in solved wave equation and got u(x,y,t) = sin(k1*x)*sin(k2*y)*exp(-i*omega*t), where k2 = m*pi/a.
I don't know how to write 4. boundary condition (triangular) to get equation for k1.

If anybody can help me?

Hi Ted12, welcome to PF!:smile:

Shouldn't you have a sum over all suitable values of [itex]m[/itex], and some factor representing the amplitude of each term? Something like:

[tex]u(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} A_m \sin(k_1x)\sin \left( \frac{m\pi y}{a} \right) e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]

Your 4th boundary condition then tells you that

[tex]\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} A_m \sin(k_1 a)\sin \left( \frac{m\pi y}{a} \right) e^{-i\omega t} = \left\{ \begin{array}{lr} k(t)y & \quad , 0<x<\frac{a}{2} \\ k(t)(a-y) & \quad , \frac{a}{2} < x < a \end{array} \right.[/tex]

What do you get if you multiply both sides of the equation by [itex]\sin \left( \frac{n\pi y}{a} \right) [/itex] and integrate from [itex]y=0[/itex] to [itex]y=a[/itex]?

What are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are mathematical concepts used in linear algebra and differential equations to describe the behavior of a system. Eigenvalues represent the possible values that a system can take on, while eigenfunctions describe the corresponding patterns or behaviors associated with those values.

Why are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions important?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are important because they allow us to simplify complex systems and analyze their behavior. They can also help us find solutions to differential equations and understand the behavior of physical systems.

How do you find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

To find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, we need to solve an eigenvalue problem. This involves finding the eigenvalues (or characteristic values) of a matrix or differential operator and then using those values to find the corresponding eigenfunctions.

What are some real-world applications of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions have many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to analyze the stability of structures, model the behavior of quantum systems, and predict the behavior of financial markets, among others.

Can eigenvalues and eigenfunctions be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions can be complex numbers. This is especially common in quantum mechanics, where complex eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are used to describe the behavior of particles. In general, the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a system can be real or complex numbers, depending on the nature of the problem.