Eigenvalues of a rotation matrix

In summary, to find the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of the rotation matrix, you can solve the characteristic polynomial and use the formula λ=cosθ ± i sinθ. To normalize imaginary eigenvectors, use the absolute values of the complex numbers in the vector.
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues and normalized eigenvectors of the rotation matrix
cosθ -sinθ
sinθ cosθ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

c is short for cosθ, s is short for sinθ
I tried to solve the characteristic polynomial (c-λ)(c-λ)+s^2=0, and got λ=cosθ±sinθ.
I then tried to find the eigenvectors, but only got (0, 0) and couldn't find any others. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you write down R-λI?

I think you get:

cosθ-λ -sinθ
sinθ cosθ-λ

Oh, I think I see your problem.
Your eigenvalues should be λ=cosθ ± i sinθ.

And I meant for you to write down R-λI with λ=cosθ + i sinθ...

I'm not sure where the i comes from.

I did this to get the eigenvalues:
(c-λ)(c-λ)+s^2=0
c^2-2λc+λ^2+s^2=0
as C^2+s^2=1,
λ^2-2cλ+1=0
λ=[itex]\frac{2c±√(4c^2-4)}{2}[/itex]
=c±√(c^2-1)=c±s=cosθ±sinθ

You have √(c^2-1) = √(cos2θ-1)
Since cosθ≤1, this means that you're taking the square root of a negative number.
Hence the "i".I was assuming you are supposed to solve this with imaginary numbers.
If you are supposed to only find real eigenvalues, then there are none.

Ah, I can't believed I missed such an obvious mistake! Thanks for pointing it out.

Okay... so you found your eigenvectors?

Yes, are they (ia, a) and (-ia, a) for all a?
If so, how do you normalize imaginary eigenvectors?

Good!

The length of a vector (a,b) in ##\mathbb{C}^2## is given by ##\sqrt{|a|^2 + |b|^2}##.
Normalization works the same as with real vectors.

So you normalize a vector by writing √(x^2+y^2)=1?
But doesn't (ia)^2+a^2=a^2-a^2=0?

Not quite, |ia| = |a|.
The absolute value of a complex number x+iy is given by |x+iy|=√(x^2+y^2).
For the length of a complex vector, you need to use these absolute values.

So are they (i√0.5, √0.5) and (-i√0.5, √0.5)?

Yep! :smile:

Thank-you! :-)

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are concepts in linear algebra that are used to describe the behavior of a matrix. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent the scaling factor of an eigenvector when multiplied by a matrix. Eigenvectors are non-zero vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by a matrix.

2. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a square matrix that is used to describe a rotation in a multi-dimensional space. It is a special type of orthogonal matrix, meaning that its columns are orthonormal (perpendicular to each other) and its rows are also orthonormal.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related to rotation matrices?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors play an important role in describing the behavior of rotation matrices. The eigenvalues of a rotation matrix are always complex numbers with a magnitude of 1, meaning that they do not change the length of any vector. The eigenvectors of a rotation matrix are the axes of rotation, and their directions remain unchanged after the matrix multiplication.

4. What is the relationship between eigenvalues and the determinant of a rotation matrix?

The determinant of a rotation matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. This means that if one of the eigenvalues is 1, then the determinant will also be 1, and the matrix will preserve the orientation of the vector space. If both eigenvalues are -1, then the determinant will be -1, and the matrix will reflect the vector space along one of its axes.

5. How can I calculate the eigenvalues of a rotation matrix?

To calculate the eigenvalues of a rotation matrix, you can use the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. This polynomial is formed by subtracting the variable (λ) from the diagonal elements of the matrix and then taking the determinant. The solutions to this polynomial will be the eigenvalues of the rotation matrix.