Eigenvalues of operator in dirac not* (measurement outcomes)

In summary, the measurement described by the operator |0⟩⟨1| + |1⟩⟨0| has possible outcomes of -1 and 1, which are the eigenvalues of the operator. The completeness relation, I=|1><1|+|2><2|, is used to determine the possible outcomes.
12x4

Homework Statement

A measurement is described by the operator:

|0⟩⟨1| + |1⟩⟨0|

where, |0⟩ and |1⟩ represent orthonormal states.

What are the possible measurement outcomes?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Eigenvalue Equation: A|Ψ> = a|Ψ>

The Attempt at a Solution

Apologies for the basic question but just very unsure of myself when it comes to this stuff. I have had a go and come up with a solution but I'm not sure if its right so any help would be much appreciated.

We're told that:
A = |0⟩⟨1| + |1⟩⟨0|

Can I then assume something like: Ψ = α|1> + β|0>?

using this I've then solved the eigenvalue equation, AΨ=aΨ, and found:

α|0> + β|1> = aα|1> + aβ|0>

giving:

α=aβ & β = aα

thus,

β=a2β

a = (+-) 1

hence, my eigenvalues are -1 and 1.

and these are the possible outcomes?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't assume that [itex]|\psi>=\alpha |1>+ \beta |2>[/itex], there is a reason for that. The completeness relation gives,

[itex]I=|1><1|+|2><2|[/itex] [look up completeness relation if you don't know about it.]

which means, [itex]|\psi>=I|\psi>=|1><1|\psi>+|2><2|\psi>[/itex]

or, [itex] |\psi>=\alpha |1>+ \beta |2> [/itex],

where [itex]\alpha=<1|\psi>[/itex]

and [itex]\beta=<2|\psi>[/itex] are c-number.

Except that there are no more problem with your work.

12x4 said:

Homework Statement

A measurement is described by the operator:

|0⟩⟨1| + |1⟩⟨0|

where, |0⟩ and |1⟩ represent orthonormal states.

What are the possible measurement outcomes?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Eigenvalue Equation: A|Ψ> = a|Ψ>

The Attempt at a Solution

Apologies for the basic question but just very unsure of myself when it comes to this stuff. I have had a go and come up with a solution but I'm not sure if its right so any help would be much appreciated.

We're told that:
A = |0⟩⟨1| + |1⟩⟨0|

Can I then assume something like: Ψ = α|1> + β|0>?

using this I've then solved the eigenvalue equation, AΨ=aΨ, and found:

α|0> + β|1> = aα|1> + aβ|0>

giving:

α=aβ & β = aα

thus,

β=a2β

a = (+-) 1

hence, my eigenvalues are -1 and 1.

and these are the possible outcomes?

Yes, that looks just fine to me. The possible measurements of an experiment are the eigenvalues of the operator.

Last edited:
thank you. will look up the completeness relation

1. What are eigenvalues of an operator in Dirac notation?

Eigenvalues of an operator in Dirac notation represent the possible outcomes of a measurement performed on a quantum system. They are the values that an observable quantity can take on, and are associated with eigenvectors that describe the state of the system after the measurement.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. An eigenvector represents a specific state of the system, while its associated eigenvalue represents the outcome of a measurement performed on that state. The square of the magnitude of the eigenvector gives the probability of obtaining that eigenvalue as a measurement outcome.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues of an operator in Dirac notation?

To find the eigenvalues of an operator in Dirac notation, you need to solve the eigenvalue equation for the operator. This involves finding the eigenvectors of the operator, which can be done by solving a system of linear equations. The eigenvalues are then the values that satisfy the eigenvalue equation.

4. Can an operator have multiple eigenvalues in Dirac notation?

Yes, an operator can have multiple eigenvalues in Dirac notation. This means that a measurement of the same observable quantity can have multiple possible outcomes. However, the total probability of all the possible outcomes must add up to 1.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenstates used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates play a crucial role in quantum mechanics. They are used to represent the state of a quantum system and the possible outcomes of measurements performed on that system. They also help us understand the behavior of quantum systems and make predictions about their behavior.