1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) eigenvalues?

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the eigenvalues of the angular-momentum-squared operator (L2) for hydrogen 2s and 2px orbitals...

2. Relevant equations
    Ψ2s = A (2-r/a0)e-r/(2a0)
    Ψ2px = B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If I am not wrong, is the use of L2 in eigenfunction L2Ψ = ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ?

...so I wonder if eigenvalues are l(l+1) from this part, ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ, as in:

for Ψ2s, because for s orbital, l = 0--> l(l+1) = 0(0+1) = 0
    for Ψ2px, because for p orbital, l = 1--> l(l+1) = 1(1+1) = 2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That's only the radial part. You are missing the angular part, which is essential ;)

How is an eigenvalue defined?

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    OMG, I was like, why does the equation look funny----the correct one for Ψ2px would be B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)sinθcosφ, right?

Also, as how an eigenvalue is defined....well, from one previous eigenfunction example I solved, the one involving Hamiltonian operator, HΨ = EΨ, E is the eigenvalue?
    So, is the eigenvalue for Ψ2px2?

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Yes. For an operator ##\hat{A}##, ##\hat{A} \psi = a \psi## where ##a## is a scalar means that ##\psi## is an eigenfunction of ##\hat{A}## and ##a## its corresponding eigenvalue.

Yes.

I don't know what the level of the question is, so I don't know how simple the answer can be. If this is an advanced problem, you probably are expected to actually derive the eigenvalue.

6. Dec 4, 2014 #5
    Thank you! I am quite surprised myself at how simple the answer turns out to be.....but still thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted