Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) eigenvalues?

In summary, for the angular-momentum-squared operator (L2) in the hydrogen 2s and 2px orbitals, the eigenvalues are 0 and 2ħ2, respectively. The eigenvalue is defined as a scalar value that corresponds to an eigenfunction of the operator. The correct equation for the 2px orbital should include the angular part, B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)sinθcosφ.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvalues of the angular-momentum-squared operator (L2) for hydrogen 2s and 2px orbitals...

Homework Equations

Ψ2s = A (2-r/a0)e-r/(2a0)
Ψ2px = B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not wrong, is the use of L2 in eigenfunction L2Ψ = ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ?

...so I wonder if eigenvalues are l(l+1) from this part, ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ, as in:

for Ψ2s, because for s orbital, l = 0--> l(l+1) = 0(0+1) = 0
for Ψ2px, because for p orbital, l = 1--> l(l+1) = 1(1+1) = 2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
terp.asessed said:

Homework Equations

Ψ2s = A (2-r/a0)e-r/(2a0)
Ψ2px = B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)
That's only the radial part. You are missing the angular part, which is essential ;)

terp.asessed said:

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not wrong, is the use of L2 in eigenfunction L2Ψ = ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ?

...so I wonder if eigenvalues are l(l+1) from this part, ħ2 l(l+1) Ψ, as in:

for Ψ2s, because for s orbital, l = 0--> l(l+1) = 0(0+1) = 0
for Ψ2px, because for p orbital, l = 1--> l(l+1) = 1(1+1) = 2 ?
How is an eigenvalue defined?

DrClaude said:
That's only the radial part. You are missing the angular part, which is essential
OMG, I was like, why does the equation look funny----the correct one for Ψ2px would be B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)sinθcosφ, right?

DrClaude said:
How is an eigenvalue defined?
Also, as how an eigenvalue is defined...well, from one previous eigenfunction example I solved, the one involving Hamiltonian operator, HΨ = EΨ, E is the eigenvalue?
So, is the eigenvalue for Ψ2px2?

terp.asessed said:
OMG, I was like, why does the equation look funny----the correct one for Ψ2px would be B (r/a0)e-r/(2a0)sinθcosφ, right?
Right.

terp.asessed said:
Also, as how an eigenvalue is defined...well, from one previous eigenfunction example I solved, the one involving Hamiltonian operator, HΨ = EΨ, E is the eigenvalue?
Yes. For an operator ##\hat{A}##, ##\hat{A} \psi = a \psi## where ##a## is a scalar means that ##\psi## is an eigenfunction of ##\hat{A}## and ##a## its corresponding eigenvalue.

terp.asessed said:
So, is the eigenvalue for Ψ2px2?
Yes.

I don't know what the level of the question is, so I don't know how simple the answer can be. If this is an advanced problem, you probably are expected to actually derive the eigenvalue.

Likes terp.asessed
Thank you! I am quite surprised myself at how simple the answer turns out to be...but still thank you.

1. What is the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2)?

The Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total angular momentum of a system. It is defined as the square of the total angular momentum operator (L).

2. What are the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2)?

The eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) are given by the expression ℏ²l(l+1), where l is the orbital angular momentum quantum number and ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2)?

To find the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2), you first need to determine the orbital angular momentum quantum number (l) for the system. Then, you can use the formula ℏ²l(l+1) to calculate the eigenvalues.

4. What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2)?

The eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) represent the possible values of the total angular momentum for a quantum system. They also determine the shape of the orbital in which the particle is located.

5. How are the eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) related to the energy levels of a system?

The eigenvalues of the Angular Momentum squared operator (L^2) are related to the energy levels of a system through the quantum number n, which represents the principal energy level. The energy levels are given by the formula E = -13.6eV/n². The eigenvalues of L² determine the possible values of n, and thus the possible energy levels of the system.