1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of perturbed matrix. Rouché's theorem.

1. Aug 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] \lambda_0 \in \mathbb{C} [/itex] be an eingenvalue of the [itex] n \times n [/itex] matrix [itex] A [/itex] with algebraic multiplicity [itex] m [/itex], that is, is an [itex]m[/itex]-nth zero of [itex] \det{A-\lambda I} [/itex]. Consider the perturbed matrix [itex] A+ \epsilon B [/itex], where [itex] |\epsilon | \ll 1 [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] is any [itex] n \times n [/itex] matrix.

Show that given [itex] \delta \gt 0 [/itex], [itex] \alpha \gt 0 [/itex] exists so that, for [itex] | \epsilon | \lt \alpha [/itex], the matrix [itex] A + \epsilon B [/itex] has exactly [itex] m [/itex] eigenvalues (with algebraic multiplicity) inside [itex] | z - \lambda | \lt \delta [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Rouché's theorem states that if [itex] f [/itex] is holomorphic in a region and [itex] |g(z)| \lt |f(z)| [/itex] on a curve (suitable for integration) inside the open region, then [itex] f [/itex] and [itex] f+ g [/itex] have exactly the same amount of zeros (with multiplicity) inside the curve.

3. The attempt at a solution

I first expanding the [itex] \det [/itex] function in power series and tried applying the integral which counts the number of zeros inside a region but I got stuck with several terms I couldn't get rid of. The TA told me to apply Rouché's theorem, but I can't figure out a way to exact the "sum" out of the determinant.
    Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Should that not be [itex]|z - \lambda_0| < \delta[/itex]?

I think you want to take
    [tex]f(z) = \det (A - zI)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]g(z,\epsilon) = \det (A + \epsilon B - zI) - f(z)[/tex]
    and then look at the curve [itex]|z - \lambda_0| = \delta[/itex]. If you can show that, for all [itex]\delta > 0[/itex], there exists [itex]\alpha > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]|\epsilon| < \alpha[/itex], [itex]|g(z,\epsilon)| < |f(z)|[/itex] on that curve, then Rouché's theorem will give you the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted