1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify eigenvalues of a TST matrix

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have ##A=TST(-1,2-1),## and I need to show that an eigenvector of A is,##Y_{j}=sin(kj \pi / J).##
    and then find the full set of eigenvalues of A.

The matrix A comes from writing ##-U_{j-1}+2U-U_{j+1}=h^{2}f(x_{j}), 1\le j \le J-1##, in the form ##AU=b##

2. Relevant equations

The above.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the TST is a j-1 x j-1 dimensional, I'm unsure how to approach the algebra.

I'm unsure how to get started, and the notation is confusing me too- I know that the eigenvalues of a ##TST(\alpha, \beta)## are ##\alpha+2\beta cos(k\pi/m+1)## where ##k=1....m##,

so here do I need to take ##k=j## and ##m+1=J##, but this doesn't really make sense to be as in the above, ##k## and ##m## are anything just with the contrainst ##k=1....m##, aren't they?

i'm unsure how to construct the eigenvector ##Y##, should it be ##AY_{j}= A (Y_{0},....,Y_{J})^{T}##,
    so ##j## runs from ##1## to ##J-1##?

Any help really appreciated ! Thanks alot !

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does TST mean?

4. May 13, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what TST means either. Don't assume that an acronym you use is understood by all.

5. May 13, 2015 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted