1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvectors of "squeezed" amplitude operator

1. Mar 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the states $$|z, \alpha \rangle = \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle $$ $$|\alpha, z \rangle = \hat D(\alpha) \hat S(z)| 0 \rangle $$
    are eigenvectors of the squeezed amplitude operator $$ \hat b = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) = \mu \hat a + \nu \hat a ^\dagger $$, with μ, ν and z being complex numbers and where $$\hat D(\alpha) = e^{\alpha \hat a ^\dagger - \alpha ^* \hat a }$$ is the displacement operator and $$ \hat S(z) = e ^{ \frac{z^*}{2} \hat a ^2 - \frac{z}{2} \hat a ^{\dagger 2}}$$ is the compression operator.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first one I've tried $$ \hat b \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a | \alpha \rangle $$, but I can't get farther than that. I've tried and reordering the exponentials, writing them as taylor series, and writing the coherent state α as a sum of number states n. but I haven't got nowhere.

I have the feeling that the solution is much easier than what I am doing. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a few more (if not one) steps needed. Remember that the coherent state is an eigenstate of ##\hat{a}##.

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    Yes, I realized that I already had the solution just after I went to bed. I'm retarded, haha. And the other state is easy to prove once you have this one. Using D(α)S(z) = S(z)D(μα+να*) it's easy to see that it's an eigenvector with eigenvalue μα+να*.

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted