1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation Relations, 2D Harmonic Oscillator

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a two-dimensional harmonic oscillator, described by the Hamiltonian

##\hat H_0 = \hbar \omega (\hat a_x \hat a_x ^{\dagger} + \hat a_y \hat a_y^{\dagger} + 1)##

Calculate ##\hat H_0 \hat L | n_1, n_2 \rangle## and ##\hat L \hat H_0 |n_1, n_2 \rangle##. What does this imply for ##[\hat H_0 , \hat L]##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can solve this problem by "brute force", having shown that ##\hat L = \hat x \hat P_y - \hat y \hat P_x = i \hbar (\hat a_y^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x ^{\dagger} \hat a_y)##. I can apply one operator and then the other, but the results are messy making me think this can be done in a smarter manner.

Trying to combine these operators into a single simplified operator gives me

##H_0 \hat L = i \hbar^2 \omega (\hat a_x ^{\dagger} \hat a_x (\hat a_y ^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x ^{\dagger} \hat a_y) + \hat a_y^{\dagger} \hat a_y (\hat a_y^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x^{\dagger} \hat a_y) + (\hat a_y^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x^{\dagger} \hat a_y))##

I need to deal with this ##(\hat a_y ^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x ^{\dagger} \hat a_y)## term but I am unsure of how to do it. I know that ##[\hat a_i, \hat a_i^{\dagger}] = 1## and that the x and y operators are mutually commuting.

If I set ##\hat N = \hat a_y^{\dagger} \hat a_x##, then ##(\hat a_y ^{\dagger} \hat a_x - \hat a_x ^{\dagger} \hat a_y) = [\hat N, \hat N^{\dagger}]## but the numbered states or not eigenstates of my invented operator...

So, is there anything I can realise to make this problem less of an accounting exercise?

I hope it's clear what i'm asking; I can solve this problem, but it does not feel efficient.

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2
    Do you realize that the Hamiltonian on a number state ##\mid n_1,n_2\rangle ## has eigenvalue related to the total ##n_1+n_2##?
    \begin{align*} H& = \hbar \omega (a_x ^{\dagger}a_x + a_y^{\dagger}a_y \ + 1) \\
    H &= \hbar\omega(N_x + N_y + 1)\\
    H|n_1, n_2> &= \hbar\omega(n_1 + n_2+1)|n_1, n_2>\end{align*}
    So a question you can ask is "does ##L## change the total ##n_1 + n_2## ?"
    You can examine the operator ##L## or try it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted