1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the following linear system:
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = -2x
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = -2y

Obtain the general solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A= -2 0
    0 -2

Using the determinant of A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I I got a repeated eigenvalue of -2. I am not sure how to get the eigenvectors since substituting -2 back into A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I will give a matrix of zeroes. I checked with MATLAB and the eigenvectors should be (1,0) and (0,1) but I have no idea how to get them.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see that there is any need for eigenvalues and eigenvectors at all. Your system of equations is uncoupled, which means that in the matrix equation x' = Ax, A is already diagonal.

If you have x'(t) = kx, the solution is x(t) = Aekt, right? Apply this idea to each of the differential equations in your system.

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

As Mark44 noted, A is already diagonal, so you don't need to find eigenvectors so you can diagonalize A, but in case you're still wondering, when A-λI=0, any vector x will satisfy (A-λI)x=0, which means every vector x is an eigenvector of A. You can therefore choose any two vectors, like (1,0) and (0,1), as your eigenvectors. (Usually when you have this kind of freedom, it's a good idea to select vectors that are orthogonal to each other.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook