Is my use of Einstein notation correct in this example?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper use of Einstein notation in a given example involving a diagonal matrix and the importance of understanding the components of a matrix. The correct notation is shown and the conversation also mentions a possible alternative notation. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of understanding the context and components in Einstein notation.
redtree
TL;DR Summary
I am wondering if I am using it correctly
I am wondering if I am using Einstein notation correctly in the following example.

For a matrix ##R## diagonal in ##1##, except for one entry ##-1##, such as ##R = [1,-1,1]##, is it proper to write the following in Einstein notation:
##R_{\alpha} R_{\beta} = \mathbb{1}_{\alpha \beta} ##, such that ##\Gamma_{\alpha} \Gamma_{\beta} = \Gamma_{\alpha} \Gamma_{\beta} \mathbb{1}_{\alpha \beta} = \big(R_{\alpha}\Gamma_{\alpha} \Big) \Big( R_{\beta}\Gamma_{\beta}\Big)##

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is wrong.
First of all, equal index in up and down positions implies summation. So

##R_a R_b = 1_{a b}## Is wrong, and to be honest, i don't even understand what did you was trying to say.

The second equation is also wrong, the index on left hand of the equation is different of the index on right hand side.

Likes topsquark
LCSphysicist said:
I don't even understand what did you was trying to say.
First off, I am trying to write the following in Einstein notation, where ##R=\mathrm{diag}[1,-1,1]##, then ##R^T R = \mathbb{1}_{\dim{R}}##.

##R## is a matrix and so it has two indices not one. Is the notation ##R = \text{diag} [1,-1,1]## confusing you? They are the entries of the diagonal of the matrix, rather than the components of a vector in some basis. They are the diagonal components of a second rank tensor in some basis. You use ##\delta_{\alpha \beta}## instead of ##\mathbb{1}_{\alpha \beta}##. Anyway, using Einstein's summation convention you would write

$$
R^T R= \mathbb{1}
$$

as

$$
(R^T)^\alpha_{\;\; \gamma} R^\gamma_{\;\; \beta} = \delta^\alpha _{\;\; \beta} .
$$

or

$$
R^{\;\; \alpha}_ \gamma R^\gamma_{\;\; \beta} = \delta^\alpha _{\;\; \beta} .
$$

or as ##R## is symmetric

$$
R^\alpha_{\;\; \gamma} R^\gamma_{\;\; \beta} = \delta^\alpha _{\;\; \beta} .
$$I suppose, it's not standard, you could introduce the numbers ##r_{(1)}= 1 , r_{(2)} = -1, r_{(3)} = 1## where I have used brackets around the indices to indicate that I'm simply taking them to be numbers rather than components of a tensor in some basis, which is what they actually are. And then write

$$
R^\alpha_{\;\; \beta} = r_{(\beta)} \delta^\alpha_{\;\; \beta}
$$

no summation over ##\beta## is implied. Then you could write

\begin{align*}
R^\alpha_{\;\; \gamma} R^\gamma_{\;\; \beta} & = r_{(\alpha)} r_{(\beta)} \delta^\alpha_{\;\; \gamma} \delta^\gamma_{\;\; \beta}
\nonumber \\
& = r_{(\alpha)} r_{(\beta)} \delta^\alpha_{\;\; \beta}
\nonumber \\
& = r_{(\alpha)}^2 \delta^\alpha_{\;\; \beta}
\nonumber \\
& = \delta^\alpha_{\;\; \beta}
\end{align*}

But this is an abuse of the usual convention.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, topsquark and redtree

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as tensor notation or index notation, is a mathematical notation used to express and manipulate equations involving tensors. It was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. Why is Einstein notation useful?

Einstein notation is useful because it allows for the concise and elegant representation of complex equations involving tensors. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to identify patterns and symmetries in equations.

3. How does Einstein notation work?

In Einstein notation, repeated indices in an equation imply summation over those indices. This allows for the representation of multi-dimensional operations in a compact and efficient way. The notation also follows specific rules for index placement and contraction.

4. What are the benefits of using Einstein notation?

The benefits of using Einstein notation include the ability to express and manipulate complex equations involving tensors, making calculations more efficient and compact, and aiding in the identification of symmetries and patterns in equations.

5. How is Einstein notation related to tensors?

Einstein notation is specifically designed for working with tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different quantities in a multi-dimensional space. The notation allows for the manipulation and analysis of tensors in a concise and efficient manner.