Einstein's Electrodynamics of moving Bodies

In summary: Perhaps you can also look into the mathematical properties of waves and their interaction with matter.##\ ##I don’t have notes or anything except Einstein’s 1905 paper “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies” which is currently breaking my brain…. From what I’ve read about length contraction, the equation L = Lo √1- v^2/c^2 may apply but I’m having difficulty identifying LoThat's a great paper, but it's not a good source for you to learn SR from. As is evidenced by your helplessness in the face of a length contraction problem.Try this. The first chapter is free
jselms99
Homework Statement
Okay guys I’m lost:

I have a train measured as being 100 meters in length standing in the station. Once its pulled out and it reaches a constant speed, the length measured by observers who are alongside the tracks is 50 meters. How fast is it traveling?

I have to calculate this for different distances; for example, 10 meters, 50 meters, 100 meters and represent the answer as a fraction of c.
Relevant Equations
The problem is, I don’t know what equation I should be using!
Okay I’m assuming I have to use √1- v^2/c^2 multiplied by some coefficient of length but I don’t understand any of this and could really use help understanding the process and/or reference material that might point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @jselms99 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Here at PF we have some rules and guidelines, which please read. In particular: we need some attempt from you before we can help.

jselms99 said:
The problem is, I don’t know what equation I should be using!

Okay I’m assuming I have to use √1- v^2/c^2 multiplied by some coefficient of length but I don’t understand any of this and could really use help understanding the process and/or reference material that might point me in the right direction
Do you have a textbook, lecture notes, anything relevant for this exercise ?
If not, why are you doing this ?

Perhaps you can read up on 'length contraction' ?

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR, topsquark, PeroK and 1 other person
BvU said:
Hello @jselms99 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Here at PF we have some rules and guidelines, which please read. In particular: we need some attempt from you before we can help.Do you have a textbook, lecture notes, anything relevant for this exercise ?
If not, why are you doing this ?

Perhaps you can read up on 'length contraction' ?

##\ ##
I don’t have notes or anything except Einstein’s 1905 paper “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies” which is currently breaking my brain…. From what I’ve read about length contraction, the equation L = Lo √1- v^2/c^2 may apply but I’m having difficulty identifying Lo

• Wow
Likes PeroK
##L_0## is length in rest frame (i.e. when measured in frame where train stands still, for example standing at the station).

Likes MatinSAR, topsquark and vanhees71
BvU said:
##L_0## is length in rest frame (i.e. when measured in frame where train stands still, for example standing at the station).
How would I account for varying distances traveled though? I was thinking of using the equation x=vt and t=x’/(c-v) but I don’t know if that’s helpful

Could you transcribe the entire problem : as is, the "different distances... for instance...." makes no sense to me without quite a bit of context.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
jselms99 said:
I don’t have notes or anything except Einstein’s 1905 paper “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies” which is currently breaking my brain…. From what I’ve read about length contraction, the equation L = Lo √1- v^2/c^2 may apply but I’m having difficulty identifying Lo
That's a great paper, but it's not a good source for you to learn SR from. As is evidenced by your helplessness in the face of a length contraction problem.

Try this. The first chapter is free.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/david-morin/special-relativity

Likes BvU, MatinSAR, topsquark and 1 other person
Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is Einstein's Electrodynamics of moving Bodies?

Einstein's Electrodynamics of moving Bodies, also known as the Theory of Special Relativity, is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the movement of objects at high speeds.

2. How did Einstein come up with this theory?

Einstein developed this theory in 1905 based on his famous thought experiment, where he imagined himself riding on a beam of light and realized that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

3. What are the main concepts of this theory?

The main concepts of Einstein's Electrodynamics of moving Bodies include the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the constancy of the speed of light, which is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

4. How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of Special Relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe by introducing the concept of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and affected by the movement of objects. It also laid the foundation for his later theory of General Relativity, which explains the force of gravity.

5. Is this theory still relevant today?

Yes, Einstein's Electrodynamics of moving Bodies is still highly relevant today and is considered one of the most successful scientific theories in history. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and is used in various fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering.