Elastic 2D Collision with Lots of Unknowns

In summary, the problem involves two masses, m1 and m2, where m1 is moving to the right and collides with m2 at rest. The scattering angle of m1 is 30 degrees above the horizontal. The goal is to calculate the recoil angle (phi) of m2 and its recoil speed. Using the equations for momentum and kinetic energy conservation, we can eliminate variables and solve for v1, which allows us to calculate v2 and phi. The final step involves arranging the equations and using algebra to solve for the unknown variables.
mindarson

Homework Statement

Mass m1, moving to the right, collides with mass m2, which is at rest before the collision. The masses are m1 = 0.1 kg and m2 = 0.2 kg. The scattering angle of m1 will be 30 degrees above the horizontal.

a) Calculate the recoil angle phi of m_2.

b) Calculate the recoil speed of m_2.

Homework Equations

m_1*v_0 = m_2*v_2*cosφ + m_1*v_1*cos30 (mom. cons. in x)

m_2*v_2*sinφ = m_1*v_1*sin30 (mom. cons. in y)

0.5*m_1*v_0^2 = 0.5*m_1*v_1^2 + 0.5*m_2*v2^2 (KE cons.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll spare you the messy algebra unless requested. My approach has been to try to eliminate variables, since I have FOUR unknowns (v_0, v_1, v_2, and phi) and only 3 equations. But nothing I've done so far has helped me. Can I really come up with formulas for v_2 and phi in terms of just m_1, m_2, and the 30 deg recoil angle of m_1?

I have also considered trying to use the c.m. frame, but I really don't see how that would help in this problem.

It seems to me the physics here is simple. It's the algebra that's messing me up! Maybe? Can anyone offer a friendly nudge in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mindarson said:

Homework Equations

m_1*v_0 = m_2*v_2*cosφ + m_1*v_1*cos30 (mom. cons. in x)

m_2*v_2*sinφ = m_1*v_1*sin30 (mom. cons. in y)

0.5*m_1*v_0^2 = 0.5*m_1*v_1^2 + 0.5*m_2*v2^2 (KE cons.)

Correct if phi is the angle measured clockwise from the direction of vo.

mindarson said:
Can I really come up with formulas for v_2 and phi in terms of just m_1, m_2, and the 30 deg recoil angle of m_1?

No, you can calculate v2 and phi in terms of v0.

Arrange all equations so that the quantities labelled by "1" are on one side, and those labelled by "2" on the other side.

Take the square of both momentum equations, and add them: the unknown angle cancels.

Eliminate v2 using the energy equation. You get a quadratic equation for v1. ...

ehild

What is elastic 2D collision?

Elastic 2D collision is a type of collision between two objects in a two-dimensional space where the objects do not stick together or deform upon impact. The total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains constant.

What are the unknowns in elastic 2D collision?

The unknowns in elastic 2D collision are the final velocities of the objects after the collision, the direction of the final velocities, and the angles of the final velocities with respect to the initial velocities.

How do you calculate the final velocities in elastic 2D collision?

The final velocities in elastic 2D collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved in the collision.

What factors can affect the outcome of elastic 2D collision?

The outcome of elastic 2D collision can be affected by factors such as the masses of the objects, the initial velocities of the objects, and the angle of collision between the objects. Friction and external forces can also affect the outcome of the collision.

How is elastic 2D collision different from inelastic 2D collision?

In elastic 2D collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in inelastic 2D collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. In elastic collision, the objects do not stick together or deform upon impact, while in inelastic collision, the objects may stick together or deform after the collision.