Elastic collision, frictionless surface

In summary, the problem involves two air hockey pucks colliding head-on on a frictionless surface. With the smaller puck having a mass of 0.050 kg and a velocity of 5.0 m/s to the right and the larger puck having a mass of 0.10 kg and a velocity of 2.0 m/s to the left, the task is to find the velocities of each puck after the collision. Using the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, the solution involves finding an equation for V'1 and then substituting it into the original equation to solve for V'2. The final step would be to plug in the given values and solve for the velocities.
synergix

Homework Statement

Two air hocky pucks collide head-on elastically on a frictionless surface. The smaller puck has a mass of 0.050 kg and is moving to the right at 5.0 m/s while the larger puck has a mass of 0.10 kg and is moving to the left with a speed of 2.0 m/s. Find the velocity of each after the collision.

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=M1V'1+M2V'2
.5M1V1^2+.5M2V2^2=.5M1V'1^2+.5M2V'2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure I must derive an equation from conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be the way to do it.

Select a positive X direction and be careful of signs.

Two equations, 2 unknowns.

Cant anyone help me?

ok, could you give me an idea of what first step I should take?

first I take the conservation of momentum:
M1V1+M2V2=M1V'1+M2V'2

Then I solved for V'1

V'1=(M1V1+M2V2-M2V'2)/M1
Then I substituted this for V'1 in the original equation:
M1V1+M2V2=M1[(M1V1+M2V2-M2V'2)/M1]+M2V'2

so now the only unknown variable is V'2. I have little expierence deriving equations so I am not confident this is correct. though it certainly seems to be. to me anyways.

My first step would be to start plugging in the values and deriving the actual equations for this situation.

With the equations in hand then solve for the 2 velocities in the usual manner.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remain the same.

2. What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a surface that has no resistance to the motion of an object moving across it. This means that there is no force acting in the opposite direction of the motion, which would typically slow down the object's movement.

3. How does a frictionless surface affect an elastic collision?

A frictionless surface allows for an elastic collision to occur with minimal loss of kinetic energy due to friction. This means that the objects involved in the collision will continue to move at the same speed and direction after the collision, without being slowed down by the surface they are on.

4. Can elastic collisions occur on surfaces with friction?

Yes, elastic collisions can still occur on surfaces with friction. However, the presence of friction will cause some of the kinetic energy to be converted into heat, resulting in a loss of energy and potentially changing the direction of the objects involved in the collision.

5. Are there any real-world examples of elastic collisions on frictionless surfaces?

One example of an elastic collision on a frictionless surface is a billiard ball striking another ball on a pool table. The balls will continue to move at the same speed and direction after the collision, with no loss of energy due to friction on the smooth surface of the pool table.