1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision

1. May 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body of mass 3 kg slides on a friction less surface with velocity 4 m/s and collides elastically with a resting mass of 2 kg. calculate the final velocities.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of momentum: [itex]m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1u_1+m_2u_2[/itex]
    Conservation of energy: [itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2=\frac{1}{2}m_1u_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2u_2^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved those two equations and got a correct answer. but my question is as follows:
    If we solve, as a general case, the two above equations we get a third equation:
    [tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2)[/tex]
    Which states that the relative velocities before and after the collision remain the same.
    When i solved this third equation together with the first equation, that of the conservation of momentum i got, of course, a wrong answer.
    Can you explain? both ways seem correct.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2014 #2
    It might help to show your work. I don't see why the latter approach should give you a wrong answer.

4. May 15, 2014 #3
    My work

When i use the first method, the long way by solving fully the 2 equations, right from the start there is a difference: from the Conservation of momentum:
    [tex]3\cdot 4=3u_1+2u_2 \Rightarrow u_1=4-\frac{2}{3}u_2[/tex]
    The second equation in both methods is the conservation of energy which remains the same.
    In the second method, from the equation:
    [tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow 3=-(u_1-u_2) \Rightarrow u_1=u_2-3[/tex]
    The two u1 differ.

5. May 15, 2014 #4
    Based on sign convention, if positive is towards right, then it should be
    [tex]u_{1} - u_{2} = 4[/tex]
    and that gives same answer as the previous approach since [itex]u_{2}[/itex] is zero.
    You might have mixed up some numbers in your attempt (eg. the 3 you have here instead of 4).

6. May 15, 2014 #5
    Thanks, i wouldn't have found it, but i think you have a mistake, if i take it as you wrote:
    [tex]u_1=u_2+4[/tex]
    the answer would be wrong. and why should i change signs? i shouldn't take into consideration the positive direction since the equation:
    [tex]v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2)[/tex]
    Is general, it doesn't take in consideration directions, no?
    So, if i use:
    [tex]u_1=u_2-4[/tex]
    then it comes out right

7. May 15, 2014 #6
    I think we might have been using different letters for initial and final. I assumed that u referred to the initial velocity. If so, then u1 = 4 is the correct answer since u2 = 0 and the direction of the initial block is taken to be positive.

8. May 15, 2014 #7
    Yup, seems that you mean final velocities by u. Then the two equations that you mentioned earlier:
    [tex]u_1=4-\frac{2}{3}u_2[/tex]
    [tex]u_1=u_2-4[/tex]
    are correct.

There is no disagreement between them; they form a pair of simultaneous equations that allow you to determine both [itex]u_{1}[/itex] and [itex]u_{2}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted