1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic potential energy of two blocks of mass

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Two blocks of masses M and 3M are placed on a horizontal, frictionless surface. A light spring is attached to one of them, and the blocks are pushed together with the spring between them. A cord initially holding the blocks together is burned; after this, the block of mass 3M moves to the right with a speed of 1.50 m/s.
    (a) What is the speed of the block of mass M?
    (b) Find the original elastic potential energy in the spring if M = 0.350 kg.

I already have the answer to a, which is obviously 4.5m/s. But, I am clueless as to part b. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What factors determine the potential energy stored in a spring and how do they relate to each other?

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    It depends on how much is compresses or stretches, but that isn't known and as far as I know can't be calculated. It also depends on the stiffness of the spring but that isn't given either.

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, sorry a little misleading perhaps. What quantities must be conserved here?

6. Oct 20, 2006 #5
    Momentum is conserved, and kinetic energy is conserved, so that means that potential energy must be conserved too. and change in kinetic energy = - change in potential energy..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  7. Oct 20, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Energy is conserved, it can however, be transformed from one form to another (i.e. from potential to kinetic).

8. Oct 20, 2006 #7
    I think my problem was only calculating the kinetic energy of the smaller mass, because I thought if i calculated it for the system they would offset each other but they dont. So, KE=(.5)(.35)(.45^2) - (.5)(.35)(3)(1.5^2) = 2.3625 so potential energy is the opposite of that?

9. Oct 20, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that kinetic energy is not a vector quantity, it is scalar. You should therefore add the individual kinetic energies to obtain the potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?