Elastic string with mass at its end

In summary, a light elastic string attached to a particle of mass m and force constant k is stretched to twice its natural length and the particle is projected along the table at right angles with a speed v0. It is shown that the string will attain its natural length again if its initial kinetic energy is less than a critical fraction of its initial total energy, which is equal to 1/3. In the case where one-fifth of the initial energy is kinetic, and if the string attains its natural length at some instant, the motion when the string becomes slack is described and it is shown to remain slack for a duration of tau0, which can be determined using conservation of energy.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A light elastic string on a smooth horizontal table has one of its ends fastened. The other end is attached to a particle of mass m. The string of force constant ##k## is stretched to twice its natural length of ##l_0## and the particle is projected along the table at right angles with a speed ##v_0##.

i)Show that in the subsequent motion, the string will attain its natural length again if its initial kinetic energy is less than a critical fraction of its initial total energy. Find this critical fraction.

ii)If one-fifth of its initial energy is kinetic, and if the string attains its natural length at some instant, describe the motion when the string becomes slack. Show that it will remain slack for duration ##\tau_0##. Determine ##\tau_0##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##r## be the distance of mass from the fixed end at any point of time. Then,
$$m\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}=-k(r-l_0)$$
$$\Rightarrow r(t)=A\sin(\omega t)+B\cos(\omega t)+l_0$$
where ##\omega=\sqrt{k/m}##.

From the initial conditions, ##r(0)=2l_0## and ##r'(0)=0##, I get ##A=0## and ##B=l_0## i.e
$$r(t)=l_0(1+\cos(\omega t))$$
When the string attains its natural length, ##r(t)=l_0 \Rightarrow \sin (\omega t)=1##. Hence, radial speed at that instant is ##v_r=l_0\omega##.

There is also a component of velocity perpendicular to radial velocity at any instant. I denote its magnitude by ##v_{\perp}##. This can be obtained from conservation of angular momentum about the fixed end of string.

When the string is at its natural length, ##v_{\perp}=2v_0##.

Now I am not sure how to proceed, I tried energy conservation. LHS of the following equation is energy at t=0 and RHS is energy when the string is relaxed.
$$\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2\right)$$
$$\Rightarrow kl_0+mv_0^2=m\left( l_0^2\frac{k}{m}+4v_0^2\right)$$
As it can be seen, both sides are not equal so I guess I went wrong somewhere. :(

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Question, what do you mean the particle is projected at right angles?

anyway, proceeding:

Pranav-Arora said:
There is also a component of velocity perpendicular to radial velocity at any instant. I denote its magnitude by ##v_{\perp}##. This can be obtained from conservation of angular momentum about the fixed end of string.

I'm not sure conservation of momentum applies here, as the string exerts an impulse on the particle. But I'm also not getting a good picture of what's going on here.

A particle on a string gets stretched, (as if around someones finger) and then released to cause rotation?

$$\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2\right)$$

How exactly did you get from the top equation to the bottom?

Second equation is Newtons+ Joules = Joules + Joules

Everything else seems alright though, assuming that CoM does apply, that is.

Pranav-Arora said:
Let ##r## be the distance of mass from the fixed end at any point of time. Then,
$$m\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}=-k(r-l_0)$$

This equation is not correct. For example, suppose the particle moved in a circle at constant speed with the string stretched at some r > lo to provide the centripetal force. Does your equation make sense for this situation?

r is a polar coordinate, and in polar coordinates [itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] is not the radial acceleration. You might not have covered this yet in your studies.

Rather than using the second law, you might see how far conservation laws will take you.

TSny said:
r is a polar coordinate, and in polar coordinates [itex]\ddot{r}[/itex] is not the radial acceleration. You might not have covered this yet in your studies.

Rather than using the second law, you might see how far conservation laws will take you.

Is that how he's using it?

Looks like ##m\vec{a} = k\Delta \vec{x}## to me

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Is that how he's using it?

Looks like ##m\vec{a} = k\Delta \vec{x}## to me

Yes, but for general motion in a plane the component of acceleration in the radial direction is not [itex]\ddot{r}[/itex]. See the top of page 6 of this reference to see F = ma in polar coordinates.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't believe OP meant r to be used as a polar coordinate.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I don't believe OP meant r to be used as a polar coordinate.

Oh. It appears to me that he is using it as the radial polar coordinate. I'm sure he will clarify.

I hope so =P

BiGyElLoWhAt said:

What, then, do you think he was using the symbol r to represent?

Chet

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I'm not sure conservation of momentum applies here, as the string exerts an impulse on the particle. But I'm also not getting a good picture of what's going on here.
Conservation of momentum doesn't apply but conservation of angular momentum about the fixed point holds good.
A particle on a string gets stretched, (as if around someones finger) and then released to cause rotation?

How exactly did you get from the top equation to the bottom?
Sorry, its a typo, it should be ##kl_0^2##.

TSny said:
Oh. It appears to me that he is using it as the radial polar coordinate. I'm sure he will clarify.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:

Bigy guessed it correct. I did have a feeling that my first equation is supposed to be wrong but polar coordinates didn't hit me. I hope a solution exists to this problem without using polar coordinates.

Ok, so keeping the Newton's second law away for a moment, I have the following equations from conservation laws:
$$v_{\perp}=\frac{2v_0l_0}{r}$$
$$\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}k(r-l_0)^2+\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2\right)$$
In the second equation, I can substitute ##v_r=dr/dt## and ##v_{\perp}## and differentiate it to obtain a D.E in ##r## and ##t## but that leads to a dirty D.E. I don't see how to proceed.

EDIT: I think I have figured out both of the parts.

Continuing with the energy equation, LHS is initial energy at ##t=0## and RHS is the energy when string is at its natural length:
$$\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2+\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2\right)=\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+4v_0^2\right)$$
$$\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2-\frac{3}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_r^2$$
Since RHS is positive, LHS must be also positive, i.e
$$\cfrac{\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2}{\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2} \leq \frac{1}{3}$$

For part b), as per the question, initial kinetic energy is: ##\frac{1}{8}kl_0^2##.

Hence, from energy conservation:
$$\frac{5}{8}kl_0^2=\frac{1}{2}m\left(v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2\right)\,\,\,(*)$$
$$\Rightarrow \frac{5}{8}kl_0^2-2mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_r^2$$
Since ##\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{8}kl_0^2 \Rightarrow 2mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}kl_0^2##, hence
$$\frac{1}{2}mv_r^2=\frac{1}{8}kl_0^2$$
$$\Rightarrow v_r=\frac{l_0\omega}{2}$$
Let A be the point when the string slacks and B be the point when the string becomes taut again. After the string slacks, the motion is along the straight line AB.

From trigonometry, ##AB=2l_0\cos\theta##. Also,
$$\tan\theta=\frac{v_{\perp}}{v_r}=\frac{4v_0}{l_0\omega}=2\,\,\,\,\, \left( \because v_0=\frac{l_0\omega}{2}\right)$$
We are asked to find ##\tau_0##,
$$\tau_0=\frac{\ell(AB)}{\sqrt{v_r^2+v_{\perp}^2}}=\frac{2l_0\cos\theta}{\frac{\sqrt{5}l_0\omega}{2}}\,\,\,\,(\text{from}\,(*))$$
$$\Rightarrow \tau_0=\frac{4}{\sqrt{5}\omega}\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}=\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{ \frac{m}{k}}$$
Can somebody please confirm these? I don't have the final answers. Thanks!

Whew, that was long. :biggrin:

Attachments

• string slacks.png
    string slacks.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
That all looks good to me. Nice work.

For part (i) they ask for the ratio of initial KE to total energy, which you can easily get from your results.

Likes 1 person
A different approach using polar coordinates:

The radial location of the mass = [itex]\vec{r}=r\vec{i}_r[/itex]

Velocity of mass = [itex]\vec{v}=\frac{dr}{dt}\vec{i}_r+r\frac{dθ}{dt}\vec{i}_θ[/itex]

Acceleration of mass = [itex]\vec{a}=(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{dθ}{dt})^2)\vec{i}_r+(r\frac{d^2θ}{dt^2}+2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dθ}{dt})\vec{i}_θ[/itex]

Force balance equations on mass:
[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{dθ}{dt})^2\right)=-k(r-l_0)[/tex]
[tex]r\frac{d^2θ}{dt^2}+2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dθ}{dt}=0[/tex]

The second equation gives:
[tex]r^2\frac{dθ}{dt}=C[/tex]
where C is the constant of integration. From the initial condition, [itex]C=2l_0v_0[/itex], so
[tex]r^2\frac{dθ}{dt}=2l_0v_0[/tex]
If we combine this with the radial force balance, we obtain:
[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^3}\right)=-k(r-l_0)[/tex]

If we multiply both sides of this equation by dr/dt, we obtain:

[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^3}\right)\frac{dr}{dt}=-k(r-l_0)\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

This can be integrated between time = 0 and time = t to give:
[tex]\frac{m}{2}\left((\frac{dr}{dt})^2+\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^2}-(v_0)^2\right)=-\frac{k}{2}((r-l_0)^2-l_0^2)[/tex]

This is the same result that Pranav-Arora got for the energy balance, and confirms his result.

Chet

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
That all looks good to me. Nice work.

For part (i) they ask for the ratio of initial KE to total energy, which you can easily get from your results.

Thanks TSny! :smile:

Chestermiller said:
A different approach using polar coordinates:

The radial location of the mass = [itex]\vec{r}=r\vec{i}_r[/itex]

Velocity of mass = [itex]\vec{v}=\frac{dr}{dt}\vec{i}_r+r\frac{dθ}{dt}\vec{i}_θ[/itex]

Acceleration of mass = [itex]\vec{a}=(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{dθ}{dt})^2)\vec{i}_r+(r\frac{d^2θ}{dt^2}+2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dθ}{dt})\vec{i}_θ[/itex]

Force balance equations on mass:
[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{dθ}{dt})^2\right)=-k(r-l_0)[/tex]
[tex]r\frac{d^2θ}{dt^2}+2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{dθ}{dt}=0[/tex]

The second equation gives:
[tex]r^2\frac{dθ}{dt}=C[/tex]
where C is the constant of integration. From the initial condition, [itex]C=2l_0v_0[/itex], so
[tex]r^2\frac{dθ}{dt}=2l_0v_0[/tex]
If we combine this with the radial force balance, we obtain:
[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^3}\right)=-k(r-l_0)[/tex]

If we multiply both sides of this equation by dr/dt, we obtain:

[tex]m\left(\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^3}\right)\frac{dr}{dt}=-k(r-l_0)\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

This can be integrated between time = 0 and time = t to give:
[tex]\frac{m}{2}\left((\frac{dr}{dt})^2+\frac{(2l_0v_0)^2}{r^2}-(v_0)^2\right)=-\frac{k}{2}((r-l_0)^2-l_0^2)[/tex]

This is the same result that Pranav-Arora got for the energy balance, and confirms his result.

Chet

Thanks Chet for the alternative method! :)

1. What is an elastic string with mass at its end?

An elastic string with mass at its end is a physical system that consists of a string or rope with a mass attached to one end. The other end of the string is typically fixed to a stationary object. This system is often used in physics experiments to study the behavior of oscillating systems.

2. How does the mass at the end of the elastic string affect its behavior?

The mass at the end of an elastic string affects its behavior by changing its natural frequency of oscillation. A heavier mass will result in a lower natural frequency, while a lighter mass will result in a higher natural frequency. Additionally, the mass also affects the amplitude and energy of the oscillations.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the elastic string and its natural frequency?

The natural frequency of an elastic string with mass at its end is inversely proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of the string decreases, the natural frequency increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the fundamental equation of oscillations.

4. What factors affect the oscillations of an elastic string with mass at its end?

The oscillations of an elastic string with mass at its end are affected by several factors, including the mass of the weight, the length of the string, and the stiffness of the string. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces can also affect the behavior of the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of an elastic string with mass at its end?

Elastic strings with mass at their ends have various real-life applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and violins, where the strings vibrate to produce sound. They are also used in pendulum clocks, shock absorbers in vehicles, and even in bungee jumping cords. In addition, these systems are commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of oscillations and simple harmonic motion.