Elasticity affects the Oscillating period of an item?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Mulz
Messages
124
Reaction score
6
Let's say I have a metallic beam that is held so that it is parallel to the ground (0 degrees). What are the factors that affect the oscillating period of this metallic beam? I release it from a specific height so that isn't a factor.

Elasticity - won't a highly elastic metallic beam have a lower oscillating period because it moves a greater distance than a stiff one?

Is this an actual factor or what? If so, how can I mathematically describe this physics phenomenon?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you dropping the beam or simply giving it an initial deflection?

If it is just initially deflected, what sort of supports are provided?

If it simply dropped, why would you expect it to oscillate?

When you say, "elasticity" are you referring to the Young's Modulus value, or to the yield point value?

We need a more complete statement of your system to give you any meaningful answers.
 
Dr.D said:
Are you dropping the beam or simply giving it an initial deflection?

If it is just initially deflected, what sort of supports are provided?

If it simply dropped, why would you expect it to oscillate?

When you say, "elasticity" are you referring to the Young's Modulus value, or to the yield point value?

We need a more complete statement of your system to give you any meaningful answers.

I'm dropping it from a height, I'm referring to Young's Modulus but I'm not very sure, I don't know what formula is used to describe how this metallic bar is acting when you drag it up to the heigh of 5 cm (the bar is then bent point upwards) and then dropping it. I'm supposed to find the factors that affect the Period of this bar, that is how fast it is at returning to the point I released it. I don't know the factors, so I'm trying to apply Hookes law and probably even Young's Modulus to find the factors affecting the speed in which the metallic beam is moving. So far I have found that low elasticity makes it move faster.

It is simply held on to something tightly

I'm going to upload a drawn image.
 
Attachments
  • test2222.png
    test2222.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 540
Young's modulus would apply when you're changing the length of the metal bar but that's not what you're doing here. There is a bending modulus of materials but "stiffness" or "elasticity" is probably sufficiently precise.
 
Gigaz said:
Young's modulus would apply when you're changing the length of the metal bar but that's not what you're doing here. There is a bending modulus of materials but "stiffness" or "elasticity" is probably sufficiently precise.
So I can't apply Young's Modulus then, makes sense. How should I do it then? Can I maybe apply Hooke's law applied to elastic material? Or Shear modulus?

Not sure which.
 
Hooke's law certainly applies, with some constant which you could easily determine experimentally. I'm not an expert on material deformation, but typically materials have a dozen or so different elasticity constants and it's a tricky question how to best describe bending from those.
 
From you r picture I could conclude you need to know about oscillations of a clamped beam. Am I correct in this assumption ?
[edit 5 oct 22:15] completed the link
 
Last edited:
CWatters said:
There isn't a huge difference between a vibrating beam and a vibrating mass on a spring. In both cases the stiffness of the beam/spring effects the frequency of oscillation. In the case of a spring the stiffness is the spring constant k...

I suppose we could talk about what constitutes a "huge difference," but there are definite differences. For the concentrated mass on a spring, both the mass and the compliance are discrete. For a vibrating beam, neither are discrete but in fact both are distributed. In my book, that is a real difference.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters