1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electr. Engineering - Digital Sig. Processing

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    Determine if the CT systems are 1) casual or uncasual 2) memory or memoryless.

Definitions:

Casual: If for any time t1, the output response y(t1) at time t1 resulting from input x(t) does not depend on the values of the input x(t) for t > t1.
    Memory: If the output at time t1 depends in general on the past values of the input x(t) for some range of values of t up to t=t1.

[tex]x(t)[/tex] is random input and [tex] y(t)[/tex] is the output of [tex]x(t)[/tex]

For Eq1:

[tex]y(t) = |x(t)| = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
    x(t)\; \mathrm{if}\, x(t) \geq 0 \\
    -x(t)\; \mathrm{if}\, x(t) < 0
    \end{array}\right.
    [/tex]

I said this system is CASUAL and MEMORYLESS.
    • Casual - because at time t, y(t) will depend only t from the input function x(t), not some other arbitrary t value.
    • Memoryless - because the outputs at time t do not depend on previous inputs.

For Eq 2:

[tex]y(t) = \int_0^t\lambda x(\lambda)d\lambda[/tex]

I said this system is CASUAL and has MEMORY.
    • Casual - because at time t, it doesn't really depend on the future. It only depends on the past, so I'm guessing casual. *This I'm not too sure about*
    • Memory - because the outputs at time t do depend on previous inputs since youre taking the integral from 0 to time t. *I'm almost sure about this one*

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Both your answers look good to me. By the way, it's "causal" not "casual". :wink:

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    Hahha, I just realized that. Wow.

Thanks tho.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #4
    Now, Eq1 is obviously linear, but when I graph eq2, it seems to be nonlinear... does that make sense?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. Sep 5, 2007 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

- Warren

7. Sep 5, 2007 #6

is it because when you take derivatives and integrals, the terms will become nonlinear

also, in the one DefualtName posted, for equation 2, would that be a time varying or time invariant one. i would say varying because the actual output will be different from the input

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?