Electric and Magnetic Field Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a proton in an electric and magnetic field, and how to calculate its position and period. The electric and magnetic fields cause the proton to have a helical path and accelerate in the k-direction. The correct equation for finding the proton's position is v_0t+1/2*((qE/m))t^2. The conversation also confirms that the initial velocity in the z-direction is 0, and that the distance after three revolutions is 36431 meters.
navm1

Homework Statement

f8fd9f8b40.png

Homework Equations

F=qE+qv x B

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric and magnetic fields are parallel, so the magnetic force will be in the j direction and the electrostatic force will be in the k direction. If the magnetic force was acting alone it would be cyclotron motion but since the electrostatic force is acting too does this mean it is moving in a helical path? I'm having some difficulty thinking about where the electric field is pointing and how to draw it properly. Thanks

for part b) I can find the acceleration using (qE)/m and plug into a distance equation but I am not sure if that is what I'm being asked to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
navm1 said:
If the magnetic force was acting alone it would be cyclotron motion but since the electrostatic force is acting too does this mean it is moving in a helical path?
Sort of helical, as it is always accelerating in k-direction.

Thanks. For part b, if I use v_0t+1/2*((qE/m))t^2 as the position of the proton along the z direction. Then for part c I can calculate the period and then put '3T' into the equation I found in part b to find the particles position. Am I on the right track with this?

navm1 said:
For part b, if I use v_0t+1/2*((qE/m))t^2 as the position of the proton along the z direction.
What is v_0 in z direction?
navm1 said:
Then for part c I can calculate the period and then put '3T' into the equation I found in part b to find the particles position. Am I on the right track with this?
Right.

mfb said:
What is v_0 in z direction?
Right.
v_0 in the z direction is 0 so z=1/2*((qE/m))t^2 = 1/2* ((1.6x10^-10)(5000))/1.673x10^-27)*(1.3x10^-4)^2 = 4041m = 4km ?

Is that the distance after one or after three revolutions?

my mistake, that is one revolution so three should be 36431metres

Right.

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are caused by electric charges and exert a force on other charges, while magnetic fields are caused by moving charges and exert a force on other moving charges.

2. Can electric and magnetic fields be parallel to each other?

Yes, electric and magnetic fields can be parallel to each other. In fact, electromagnetic waves such as light have both electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How are the strengths of electric and magnetic fields related when they are parallel?

When electric and magnetic fields are parallel, their strengths are directly proportional to each other. This relationship is described by the speed of light, which is equal to the product of the electric and magnetic field strengths.

4. What are some examples of parallel electric and magnetic fields in everyday life?

Some examples of parallel electric and magnetic fields in everyday life include the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire and the electric field between the plates of a charged capacitor.

5. How does the direction of the electric and magnetic fields affect the behavior of charged particles?

The direction of the electric and magnetic fields determines the direction of the force experienced by charged particles. If the fields are parallel, the force experienced by the particle will be perpendicular to both fields, causing the particle to move in a curved path.