Electric and Magnetic Field Relationship at the Surface of a Wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
bmb2009
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 0.60 m long circular tungsten wire with a radius of 0.05 m is connected to a DC power source resulting in a current of 0.65 A in the wire. Calculate the magnitude of the electric to magnetic field ratio at the surface of the wire. The resistivity of tungsten is 5.6 · 10-8 Ωm


Homework Equations



B(inside a wire) = μ*I/2∏R^2 * r where R = the radius of the wire and r = location within the wire radius... and since it is at the surface r=R.

Is that how you calculate the B field?

Also, I have no idea how to calculate the E field at the surface. I don't know how to relate resistivity into any of this. And does the I'm assuming the fact that it is a circle affects something but I don't know what.

I'm really lost on this problem so any response will be greatly appreciated!


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Good on the B field except is r squared? For E, you can try applying Ohm's law to a short segment of the wire.
 
Well since the r=R R/R^2 should reduce down to just R correct? and do you mind expanding on that? I really don't know how to do that :/
 
Oh, you were correct on the R factor. Good.