1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric and Magnetic Field Relationship at the Surface of a Wire

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.60 m long circular tungsten wire with a radius of 0.05 m is connected to a DC power source resulting in a current of 0.65 A in the wire. Calculate the magnitude of the electric to magnetic field ratio at the surface of the wire. The resistivity of tungsten is 5.6 · 10-8 Ωm

2. Relevant equations

B(inside a wire) = μ*I/2∏R^2 * r where R = the radius of the wire and r = location within the wire radius... and since it is at the surface r=R.

Is that how you calculate the B field?

Also, I have no idea how to calculate the E field at the surface. I don't know how to relate resistivity into any of this. And does the I'm assuming the fact that it is a circle affects something but I don't know what.

I'm really lost on this problem so any response will be greatly appreciated!

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good on the B field except is r squared? For E, you can try applying Ohm's law to a short segment of the wire.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Well since the r=R R/R^2 should reduce down to just R correct? and do you mind expanding on that? I really don't know how to do that :/

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    Nevermind I got it! thanks though

6. Oct 30, 2012 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, you were correct on the R factor. Good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook