Electric Charge and Electric Field

In summary, two tiny spheres with equal but opposite charges of 72.0nC and a mass of 6.60mg are suspended from a ceiling hook by light strings of length 0.530m. When a horizontal uniform electric field is introduced, the spheres hang at rest with an angle of 50° between the strings. To find the magnitude of the field, the net force in the x-direction needs to be calculated. Using the trigonometric ratio tanθ=Fx/Fy, and considering the forces exerted by the second sphere and the electric field, the equation E=mgtanθ/q can be used to find the magnitude of the field. However, the force exerted by the second sphere must be
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

1zgx8vs.jpg

Two tiny spheres of mass = 6.60mg carry charges of equal magnitude, 72.0nC , but opposite sign. They are tied to the same ceiling hook by light strings of length 0.530m . When a horizontal uniform electric field that is directed to the left is turned on, the spheres hang at rest with the angle theta between the strings equal to 50° in the following figure.

What is the magnitude E of the field?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that q is moving towards the left towards the electric field.

I know that the tension in the x direction is Tx=Hcos∅

and in the y direction is Ty=hsin∅

I know the sum of the forces in the x direction ƩFx= hcos∅ + q

While the sum of the forces in the y direction is ƩFy=hsin∅-mg

Here is where I'm confused I have no idea how to find q. Would q just be 72?

In which case I get the magnitude of √ ƩFx^2 + ƩFy^2 = F0

then simply divde Fo/q to get E ?

i'm pretty confused some guidance would be awesome.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We aren't asked about tension, so its better we won't deal with that in this case.
Start by finding the net force in x-direction on the left sphere. Then you can use the trig ratio
tanθ=Fx/Fy.

That's where I am confused the net force of the x direction involves q but I have no idea how they want me to get that q. Also how would the trig ratio tan x/y help me in this case. They are asking for the field.

Ohh I see, I'm guessing we can use the trig ratio to find the sum of the forces in the y direction?

Mdhiggenz said:
That's where I am confused the net force of the x direction involves q but I have no idea how they want me to get that q. Also how would the trig ratio tan x/y help me in this case. They are asking for the field.

I guess you are given q (if you mean charge) in the question.
A diagram would help you to understand the situation:
(see attachment)
I rearranged the Fx in the second diagram.
So your next step is to find Fx, which is equal to the sum of the force exerted by the second sphere on the first sphere and the force due to electric field.

Attachments

• tan.jpg
    tan.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,595
Hmm so fy is mg, which means Fx is mgsin(theta) ?

Mdhiggenz said:
Hmm so fy is mg,
Correct! :smile:
which means Fx is mgsin(theta) ?
No, how did you get that? I already mentioned about Fx in my last post.

Yea I think I figured it out!
Tension ends up canceling out
sum of the x direction ƩFx= Tsin(∅)=Eq

ƩFy=Tcos(∅)=mg

sin(∅)/cos∅=Eq/mg

Solving for E we get

E=mgtan∅/q

I hope that's right lol.

Mdhiggenz said:
Yea I think I figured it out!
Tension ends up canceling out
sum of the x direction ƩFx= Tsin(∅)=Eq

ƩFy=Tcos(∅)=mg

sin(∅)/cos∅=Eq/mg

Solving for E we get

E=mgtan∅/q

I hope that's right lol.

You are almost there but you missed one force which is the force exerted by the second sphere on the first sphere (which we are dealing with here). Calculate ƩFx again.

hmm honestly I can't think of it. They should be the same but different only difference is they are going in opposite directions. How would I include it?

When there was no electric field, the only force on the left sphere in the x-direction was due to the the negatively charged right sphere. Direction of force being towards the right sphere because they attract each other. So Fx is equal to the force exerted by the right sphere on the left one. When the electric field is switched on, the positively charged left sphere experiences force in the direction of electric field. So, then Fx = FLR-qE, where FLR is the force on the left sphere by the right sphere.

Last edited:

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. There are two types of electric charge: positive and negative. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged object where other charged objects experience a force. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units of Coulombs (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons. The charge of an object can be measured using an instrument called an electroscope.

What is the relationship between electric charge and electric field?

The relationship between electric charge and electric field is described by Coulomb's Law. This law states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does electric charge affect the behavior of matter?

Electric charge plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter. It determines how atoms and molecules interact with each other, which in turn determines the physical properties of matter such as conductivity and magnetism. The movement of electric charges also generates electromagnetic waves, which are essential for communication and energy transfer.