Electric current being alternated with continuous part

In summary, an electric current may exhibit alternated and continuous character in scenarios such as a poorly smoothed power supply, a satellite TV dish with a DC supply to the LNB on the same coaxial cable, and a "Buck" topology DC-DC converter with a triangular current waveform. Additionally, an analogue TV signal is another example of a DC current with an AC component due to its unidirectional nature.
DaTario
TL;DR Summary
In which scenario a current may exhibit alternated and continous character together?
Summary: In which scenario a current may exhibit alternated and continuous character together?

Hi All,

I would like to know in which scenario an electric current may exhibit alternated and continuous character?
Something like $$ I(t) = I_0 \sin (\omega t) + I_1 $$.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple example is ripple on the DC output from a poorly smoothed power supply. The output is DC with AC superimposed on it. Another is the DC supply to the LNB on a satellite TV dish, which is passed on the same coaxial cable bringing the signal (which is AC) to the receiver.

• Informative
Likes Asymptotic and Dale
darth boozer said:
A simple example is ripple on the DC output from a poorly smoothed power supply. The output is DC with AC superimposed on it. Another is the DC supply to the LNB on a satellite TV dish, which is passed on the same coaxial cable bringing the signal (which is AC) to the receiver.
what he said (very small).jpg

DaTario said:
I would like to know in which scenario an electric current may exhibit alternated and continuous character?
Another example of a DC current with an AC component (although not sinusoidal) is the i(t) current through the inductor of a "Buck" topology DC-DC converter. The average of the triangular current waveform is the average output current of the DC-DC converter (at the output voltage which is being regulated by the converter), and the ripple current depends on the switching frequency and the value of the inductance...

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2031
https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...-step-down-buck-regulator-dc-dc-converter.php

Another example is an analogue TV signal, which is unidirectional and so has a DC component.

Thank you all, very much!

Likes berkeman

1. What is alternating current (AC)?

Alternating current is a type of electric current that periodically changes direction, typically at a rate of 50 or 60 cycles per second. This means that the flow of electricity alternates between positive and negative directions.

2. What is direct current (DC)?

Direct current is a type of electric current that flows in one direction only. Unlike alternating current, the flow of electricity in a DC circuit does not change direction.

3. How does alternating current differ from direct current?

The main difference between AC and DC is the direction of the current flow. AC alternates between positive and negative directions, while DC flows in one direction only. Additionally, AC is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is commonly used in smaller electronic devices.

4. How is alternating current produced?

Alternating current is produced by an electrical generator, which converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is typically done using a rotating coil of wire within a magnetic field. As the coil rotates, the direction of the current changes, producing AC.

5. What is the purpose of alternating current being alternated with a continuous part?

The continuous part of AC, also known as the DC component, is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly. This is because most devices require a steady flow of electricity in one direction. By alternating the current with a continuous part, AC can power these devices while still being able to be transmitted over long distances.