1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole antenna voltage

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Greetings.
    Can someone give me hint how to solve following problem:
    rbdvte.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    From my understanding, you need following formula to solve problem:
    200picj.gif
    and then potential can be obtained by integrating over the current distribution.
    But right now these foormuas really confuse me (have probem understanding what is going on in picture). So I don't understand how to find current distribution.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess is:
    potential = (int) current distribution
    V = I0(z)e^iwt

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think your suggested method is of any avail. That's for determining the strength of an e-m signal at a distance r away from the antenna.

Also: antennas have radiation resistance R. You need to come up with that resistance. You can look that up most anywhere for your half-wave dipole. You need to assume that your receiving antenna is also terminated in this resistance.

Then: you're given the B field so you can determine the E field and hence the Poynting vector which is power per unit area. So you also need to look up the effective area for your antenna.

Once you have the power input to your antenna you just go P = V^2/R to get your V.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted