Direction of dipole moment in e-field of another dipole

In summary, Julien believes that in order to solve the problem, he needs to consider the two electric fields created by the two positive and negative charges.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm trying to solve a problem about dipoles, but there is something I don't quite get about it. Well, first here is the problem:

An electric dipole ##\vec{p}_1## is placed at the zero-point and shows in the z-direction. A second electric dipole ##\vec{p}_2## is placed at location ##(x_0, 0, y_0)##. In which direction does the dipole ##\vec{p}_2## show in the electric field of ##\vec{p}_1##?

Homework Equations

Dipole moment: ##\vec{p} = q \cdot \vec{d}##
Potential of a dipole: ##\phi (\vec{r}) = k \cdot \frac{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p}}{r^3}##
Electric potential energy of a dipole: ##W_{pot} = - \vec{p}_2 \cdot \vec{E}##
Electric field: ##\vec{E} (\vec{r}) = - \nabla \phi (\vec{r})##

The Attempt at a Solution

People who've read me before on this forum know that I loooove to draw a picture of the problems, so I've attached one as usual to this post. To solve the problem, my thinking was the following:

I know that the potential energy of ##\vec{p}_2## will be minimal when it reaches its most stable position with respect to the electric field ##\vec{E}_1## of ##\vec{p}_1## at position ##\vec{r}##. That is, ##W_{pot} = - \vec{p}_2 \cdot \vec{E}_1 (\vec{r})## will be minimal when ##\vec{p}_2## is parallel to ##\vec{E}_1(\vec{r})##.

In order to find what ##\vec{E}_1 (\vec{r})## is, I first calculate the potential of ##\vec{p}_1## at position ##\vec{r}## and get:

##\phi_1 (\vec{r}) = k \cdot \frac{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p}}{r^3} = k \cdot \frac{z_0 \cdot p_z}{(x_0^2 + z_0^2)^{3/2}}##

since ##p_x = p_y = y_0 = 0##. Then the electric field of ##\vec{p}_1## is simply:

##\vec{E}_1 (\vec{r}) = - \nabla \phi_1 (\vec{r}) = (3k \cdot x_0 \cdot z_0 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5}, 0, 3k \cdot z_0^2 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5})##
##= 3k \cdot z_0 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5} \cdot (x_0, 0, z_0)##
##= 3k \cdot z_0 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5} \cdot \vec{r}##

And here comes a big surprise to me: ##\vec{E}_1 (\vec{r})## seems to be parallel to ##\vec{r}##! How is that possible? When I look at the picture I drew, that can't be true. Where is my mistake?

I'm looking forward to reading you, thanks a lot in advance for your answers.Julien.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I have found my mistake. Could it be that I have to consider two superposing electric fields, one created by the positive charge and one created by the negative charge and add them up?

Edit: Aah probably not since I use the definitions for ##\vec{p}## and not for ##\vec{d}## (distance between the two charges)...

JulienB said:
A second electric dipole ##\vec{p}_2## is placed at location ##(x_0, 0, y_0)##.
##(x_0, 0, y_0)## ⇒ ##(x_0, 0, z_0)##?
##\phi_1 (\vec{r}) = k \cdot \frac{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{p}}{r^3} = k \cdot \frac{z_0 \cdot p_z}{(x_0^2 + z_0^2)^{3/2}}##

##\vec{E}_1 (\vec{r}) = - \nabla \phi_1 (\vec{r}) = (3k \cdot x_0 \cdot z_0 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5}, 0, 3k \cdot z_0^2 \cdot p_z \cdot r^{-5})##
The z-component of ##E_1## is incomplete. Note that ##z_0## occurs in both the numerator and denominator of ##\phi_1##.

Likes JulienB
Hi @TSny and thanks for your answer. Oh right... That's unfortunately one of my common mistakes -_- Thanks for pointing that one out!

Julien.

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a system. It is a vector quantity and is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the negative charge towards the positive charge.

2. How does the direction of a dipole moment affect an electric field?

The direction of a dipole moment determines the direction of the electric field it produces. The electric field lines will point away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge, following the direction of the dipole moment.

3. How does the direction of a dipole moment change in the presence of another dipole?

In the presence of another dipole, the direction of the dipole moment may change depending on the orientation of the two dipoles. If the dipoles are aligned in the same direction, the overall dipole moment will be stronger in that direction. If the dipoles are aligned in opposite directions, the overall dipole moment will be weaker or canceled out.

4. What is the relationship between the distance between dipoles and the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between two dipoles is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the electric field becomes weaker. This is known as the inverse square law.

5. How does the direction of a dipole moment affect the torque experienced in an electric field?

The direction of a dipole moment determines the direction of the torque experienced in an electric field. If the dipole moment is parallel to the electric field, there will be no torque. However, if the dipole moment is perpendicular to the electric field, a torque will be experienced causing the dipole to align with the electric field.