Electric field a spherical surface

In summary, the conversation is about a problem that can be solved using Coulomb's law or Gauss law, but the person wants to solve it using a different approach. They explain their approach, which involves using spherical and cartesian coordinates, and ask for clarification on their notation. The other person suggests using Gauss law instead, but the problem may require the harder approach. The person asks for feedback on their approach.
baby_1
Hello
i want to solve this problem via another approach
question:
6161705900_1395566116.jpg

Book Solution:
9461417900_1395566316.jpg

my approach:
Coulomb's law for surface charge:
ex?E%3D%5Cint%20%5Cint%20%28%5Cfrac%7Bdq%7D%7B4%5Cpi%20%5Cvarepsilon%20r%5E2%7D%29%5Cvec%7Bas%7D.gif

gif.gif

as we know the filed point is a fix point and i set the name of h instead of z
(r is in spherical coordinate and haz in cartesian)
gif.gif

so
2%7D%7D%29%28-r%5Cvec%7Bar%7D+h%5Cvec%7Baz%7D%29.gif

ar in spherical coordinate is equal to below statement in cartesian

gif.gif

n%5Ctheta%20Sin%5Cphi%20%5Cvec%7Bay%7D+Cos%5Ctheta%5Cvec%7Baz%7D%29+h%5Cvec%7Baz%7D%29.gif

as we know the intergral of Cos(phi) and Sin(phi) in a total period of phi is equal to zero so the main Integrals can be simplified to the following expression:

2%7D%7D%28rCos%5Ctheta%29%5Cvec%7Baz%7D.gif

i seprate the above integral to two statement

2%7D%7D%5Cvec%7Baz%7D.gif

the below intergal because of is equal zero

gif.gif

2%7D%7D%28rCos%5Ctheta%29%5Cvec%7Baz%7D%3D0.gif

so the output is that is different between this way and the book solution

2%7D%7D%5Cvec%7Baz%7D.gif

what is my problem? and how can find the electric filed in out and in of spherical surface via this approach?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's the posted solution's hard way and then there's your hard way (don't know what you did wrong).
Then there's the easy way: Gaussian surface, which you should invoke since the problem does not force you to do it the hard way. Just ignore the hint - completely!

Likes 1 person
I am having trouble understanding your notation. Can you clarify what ##\vec{as}## is? It seems to me that you are trying to write the electric field in vector notation. If so, the vector notation is:
$$\vec{E}=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon \,\,r^3}\,\vec{r}$$
Notice that its ##r^3## in the denominator.

And yes, Gauss law is a nice way to solve the problem but I guess the problem requires you to take the harder approach.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
I am having trouble understanding your notation. Can you clarify what ##\vec{as}## is? It seems to me that you are trying to write the electric field in vector notation. If so, the vector notation is:
Notice that its ##r^3## in the denominator.

Hello dear user
thanks for your response.
yes gauss law is a shortest way to find the electric filed of this question.but i want to know what is my wrong in this approach that i get different answer?

yes [itex]\vec(as)[/itex] is equal to [itex]\vec(ar)[/itex].in electrodynamic of david giriffts he set different char to avoid confusion with ar in spherical and cylindrical coordinates.

Hello
i want to know my approach is wrong or i do some mistake?
Thank you

1. What is an electric field on a spherical surface?

The electric field on a spherical surface is the force per unit charge exerted on a charged particle that is placed on the surface. It is a vector quantity and represents the direction and strength of the electric force at that point.

2. How is the electric field on a spherical surface calculated?

The electric field on a spherical surface can be calculated using the formula E = Q/4πεor2, where Q is the total charge on the sphere, εo is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. How does the electric field vary on a spherical surface?

The electric field on a spherical surface varies depending on the distance from the center of the sphere. As the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. The direction of the electric field also changes depending on the location on the surface.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field and electric potential on a spherical surface?

The electric field and electric potential on a spherical surface are related by the equation E = -∇V, where ∇V is the gradient of the electric potential. This means that the electric field is in the direction of decreasing potential, and the strength of the field is directly proportional to the rate of change of potential.

5. How does the presence of a charged particle affect the electric field on a spherical surface?

The presence of a charged particle on a spherical surface will cause the electric field to be distorted. The field lines will bend towards or away from the charged particle, depending on its charge. This distortion will also affect the strength and direction of the electric field at different points on the surface.