1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and change in Voltage question

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1
    [​IMG]

Distances:
    a =6.2 cm
    b =7.7 cm
    c =9.9 cm
    E=3650 N/C

Question 1: What is VB - VA? (Between points A & B)I found this to equal 0 as the E field moves about the Y axis. This was correct.

Question 2: VC - VB? (between points B & C) I found this to be 281.05V using Delta V = E x -Delta S. This was also correct.

Question 3: VA - VC (between points C and A). I can not figure this out.

I'm assuming the pathagorian theorem comes into play, however if one of the sides = 0 for E, then the hypotenus would eqaul 3650.

What am I forgetting?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Since VB - VA = 0, then VB = VA.

4. Jul 3, 2006 #3

I'm not seeing how that helps, sorry.

5. Jul 3, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Wherever you see VA, you can replace it with VB. So, VA - VC is equivalent to what? (Then compare with question 2.)

6. Jul 3, 2006 #5
    Ahhh, I see. Thank you. I'm not entirely sure why that is correct, other than by algebra. Meaning, I get why it works through the transitive property, but if a force moving toward -y acts on a point B that is further away from point A, why the field strength would be equal and opposite.

7. Jul 3, 2006 #6

Doc Al

First of all, you are finding potential differences, not field strength: The field strength is given as a constant in the -y direction. In calculating potential differences between points, what matters is the displacement in the direction of the field, not merely the distance. After all, the distance between points A and B is 6.2 cm, but the potential difference is zero because the displacement is perpendicular to the field. Similarly, between C and A, and between C and B the potential difference is the same, since only the y-component of the displacement counts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?