1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and Legendre Polynomials

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to varify that the components of a homogenous electric field in spherical coordinates [itex]\vec{E} = E_r \vec{e}_r + E_{\theta} \vec{e}_{\theta} + E_{\varphi} \vec{e}_{\varphi}[/itex] are given via:

[itex]E_r = - \sum\limits_{l=0}^\infty (l+1) [a_{l+1}r^l P_{l+1}(cos \theta) - b_l r^{-(l+2)} P_l cos(\theta)][/itex]

[itex]E_{\theta} = \sum\limits_{l=0}^\infty [a_{l+1}r^l + b_{l+1} r^{-(l+3)}]sin(\theta)P'_{l+1}(cos \theta)[/itex]

[itex]E_{\varphi} = 0[/itex]

I have rotational symmetry about the z-axis (azimuthal symmetry).

2. Relevant equations

I know that the potential in charge-free space and with azimuthal symmetry can be given via the Legendre Polynomials:

[itex]\Phi(r, \theta) = \sum\limits_{l=0}^\infty (a_l r^l + b_l r^{-(l+1)}) P_l(cos \theta)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Let's begin with [itex]E_r[/itex].

[itex]\vec{E} \vec{e}_r = E_r[/itex]

And:

[itex]\vec{E} = - \nabla \Phi[/itex]

So basically what I have to do is apply the gradient (in spherical coordinates) and multiply with [itex]\vec{e}_r[/itex]. In other words: Apply the [itex]\vec{e}_r[/itex] component of the gradient to the potential. Is this correct? If so: How exactly do I apply the gradient to a sum like (2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Not quite. First write out the representation of the gradient operator in spherical coordinates and apply it to your ##\Phi##.

Does that get you any further?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted