1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and Magnetic Field

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 6.45 uC particle moves through a region of space where an electric field of magnitude 1220 N/C points in the positive direction, and a magnetic field of magnitude 1.19 T points in the positive z direction. If the net force acting on the particle is 6.45E-3 N in the positive direction, calculate the magnitude of the particle's velocity. Assume the particle's velocity is in the x-y plane.

2. Relevant equations
    F=qE
    v=1/B(E-Fnet/q)

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I did:
    using F=qE: (6.45 e-6 C)(1220N/C)= 0.00787 N

Then using V=...
    : (1/1.19T)(1220N/C - 6.45 E-3/6.45 e-6)= 184.8 m/s

BUT it keeps telling me my answer is wrong... do I have to put it in the negative direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    Where does your second equation come from? If we let the "positive direction" be the x-direction, which direction is the velocity pointing in?

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    The velocity will point in the negative Y direction according to the right hand rule.

The equation comes from:

netForce= qE-qvB

And when you plug all the values in i keep getting: 184.8 m/s but my computer says it is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook