Electric Field and Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem involves a 6.45 uC particle moving through a region with an electric field of 1220 N/C and a magnetic field of 1.19 T. The net force acting on the particle is 6.45E-3 N in the positive direction. To calculate the magnitude of the particle's velocity, we use the equation v=1/B(E-Fnet/q). Plugging in the values, the velocity is -184.8 m/s in the negative Y direction.
mlsohani

Homework Statement

A 6.45 uC particle moves through a region of space where an electric field of magnitude 1220 N/C points in the positive direction, and a magnetic field of magnitude 1.19 T points in the positive z direction. If the net force acting on the particle is 6.45E-3 N in the positive direction, calculate the magnitude of the particle's velocity. Assume the particle's velocity is in the x-y plane.

Homework Equations

F=qE
v=1/B(E-Fnet/q)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:
using F=qE: (6.45 e-6 C)(1220N/C)= 0.00787 N

Then using V=...
: (1/1.19T)(1220N/C - 6.45 E-3/6.45 e-6)= 184.8 m/s

BUT it keeps telling me my answer is wrong... do I have to put it in the negative direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does your second equation come from? If we let the "positive direction" be the x-direction, which direction is the velocity pointing in?

The velocity will point in the negative Y direction according to the right hand rule.

The equation comes from:

netForce= qE-qvB

And when you plug all the values in i keep getting: 184.8 m/s but my computer says it is wrong.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction of the force at any given point.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of charged particles, such as electrons or protons. These particles create an imbalance of positive and negative charges, which results in the formation of an electric field.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that surrounds magnetic materials or moving electric charges and exerts a force on other magnetic materials or moving charges within its range. It is represented by magnetic field lines, which show the direction of the force at any given point.

4. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. When these particles move, they create a magnetic field that surrounds them. In addition, magnetic materials, such as iron, can also create a magnetic field due to the alignment of their atoms.

5. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are both components of the electromagnetic force. They are perpendicular to each other and can interact with each other, affecting the motion and behavior of charged particles. The interaction between electric and magnetic fields is responsible for many phenomena in our daily lives, such as electricity, magnetism, and even light.