Electric Field and the Speed of a Proton

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
Ithryndil
Messages
142
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle with a charge of -60.0 nC is placed at the center of a nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius 20.0 cm and outer radius 34.0 cm. The spherical shell carries charge with a uniform density of -2.26 µC/m3. A proton moves in a circular orbit just outside the spherical shell. Calculate the speed of the proton.

Homework Equations


We will need:
[tex]E = F/q_{o}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi=EA=q_{inside}/\epsilon_{o}[/tex] (no integral is needed because we know the electric field will be constant at the surface of the sphere and we know the surface area of a sphere).
[tex]F = ma_{c}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Solving for E I get:

E = [tex]q_{inside}/(\epsilon_{o}A)[/tex]

[tex]q_{o}[/tex] is just the inner charge (-60.0nC) + the outer charge [4/3*pi*charge density*(0.34^3-0.20^3).

Plugging in for E I get:

[tex]F/q_{o}=q_{inside}/(\epsilon_{o}A)[/tex]

[tex]q_{o} = q_{inside}[/tex] because the spherical surface should act as a point charge right?

Therefore after some algebra and substitution for the centripetal acceleration I get:

[tex]v = \sqrt{q^{2}/(4\pi\epsilon_{0}rm})[/tex]
Where r = .34 and m is the mass of a proton.

When I plug in all the values I get a speed on the order of [tex]10^{12}m/s[/tex]
Which is faster than the speed of light if I am not mistaking...that being roughly [tex]3 x 10^{8}m/s[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ithryndil said:

Homework Statement

[tex]F/q_{o}=q_{inside}/(\epsilon_{o}A)[/tex]

[tex]q_{o} = q_{inside}[/tex] because the spherical surface should act as a point charge right?

My problem lies with the above. [tex]q_{o} = q_{inside}[/tex]. That is a false statement. The [tex]q_{o}[/tex] is actually the charge of the proton, not the charge of the entire charge configuration. With that adjustment I get an answer on the order of 10^5 which is must more realistic and was the correct answer.