1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field angular momentum

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A straight line with charge density ##\lambda ## is in the middle of a large isolation cylinder, that can rotate around it's axis (line). Moment of inertia for that cylinder per unit of length is ##l## and electric charge density applied on the cylinder is ##\frac{\lambda }{2\pi a}## where ##a## is the radius of the cylinder. At first we have a magnetic field ##B##, which is than slowly turned off. Calculate the angular velocity ##\omega ## after the magnetic filed is turned off. [Feynman paradox]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Angluar momentum before $$\Gamma =\varepsilon _0 \int EB dV=\frac{\lambda l B a^2}{2}$$ And after...? Yup, i have i guesstion here. I know that angular momentum should have two terms, one ## J\omega## and the other one that comes from the magnetic filed induced due to the rotation of the charged cylinder. I do have a couple of question concerning that second term.

To get that second term, I have to calculate the magnetic filed ##B_2## due to the rotation of the cylinder with angular velocity ##\omega ##.
    I have two options but I can't decide which one is right or which one is not. Here they are:
    1)
    Simply $$B=\frac{\mu _0 NI}{l}=\frac{\mu _0}{l}\frac{\lambda l \omega}{2\pi}$$ where I used ##N=1## and ##I=\frac{e\omega }{2\pi}##. I don't really understand this option - but it is the one we wrote at university. My solution differs a bit:
    2) Let's ignore that ##B## and ##j## are vectors for a moment $$\nabla \times B=\mu _0 j$$ $$\nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(r\omega)$$ if ##l## is the length of the cylinder. Integrating the last equation and using stokes law on the LHS leaves me with $$\int B ds =\mu _0 \sigma 2\pi la\omega \int r 2\pi r dr$$ which sadly leads to a different result than option 1). because $$B=\frac{\mu _0\lambda l \omega a^2}{3}$$

I seriously doubt we got it all wrong at university, so my question here is: Why is my solution wrong? And could somebody explain the option 1.) - especially where this ##I=\frac{e\omega }{2\pi}## comes from. o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2
    Blaaaa, ok, nevermind. :D I found my mistake now.

The charge on the cylinder is only on the surface and not throughout the entire cylinder. This changes $$
    \nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(r\omega)$$ to $$
    \nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(a\omega)$$ and leads to the same result as in option 1.).

:)) thanks, anyway.

4. Jan 11, 2015 #3
    Ok, I take that back. Something is wroooong :(

Question: Does one calculate the magnetic field ##B## inside a rotating cylinder with charge density ##\sigma ## ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted