Electric field angular momentum

In summary: The magnetic field inside the rotating cylinder with charge density ##\sigma ## is calculated using the following equation:$$B=\frac{\mu _0 NI}{l}=\frac{\mu _0}{l}\frac{\lambda l \omega}{2\pi}$$
skrat

Homework Statement

A straight line with charge density ##\lambda ## is in the middle of a large isolation cylinder, that can rotate around it's axis (line). Moment of inertia for that cylinder per unit of length is ##l## and electric charge density applied on the cylinder is ##\frac{\lambda }{2\pi a}## where ##a## is the radius of the cylinder. At first we have a magnetic field ##B##, which is than slowly turned off. Calculate the angular velocity ##\omega ## after the magnetic filed is turned off. [Feynman paradox]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Angluar momentum before $$\Gamma =\varepsilon _0 \int EB dV=\frac{\lambda l B a^2}{2}$$ And after...? Yup, i have i guesstion here. I know that angular momentum should have two terms, one ## J\omega## and the other one that comes from the magnetic filed induced due to the rotation of the charged cylinder. I do have a couple of question concerning that second term.

To get that second term, I have to calculate the magnetic filed ##B_2## due to the rotation of the cylinder with angular velocity ##\omega ##.
I have two options but I can't decide which one is right or which one is not. Here they are:
1)
Simply $$B=\frac{\mu _0 NI}{l}=\frac{\mu _0}{l}\frac{\lambda l \omega}{2\pi}$$ where I used ##N=1## and ##I=\frac{e\omega }{2\pi}##. I don't really understand this option - but it is the one we wrote at university. My solution differs a bit:
2) Let's ignore that ##B## and ##j## are vectors for a moment $$\nabla \times B=\mu _0 j$$ $$\nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(r\omega)$$ if ##l## is the length of the cylinder. Integrating the last equation and using stokes law on the LHS leaves me with $$\int B ds =\mu _0 \sigma 2\pi la\omega \int r 2\pi r dr$$ which sadly leads to a different result than option 1). because $$B=\frac{\mu _0\lambda l \omega a^2}{3}$$

I seriously doubt we got it all wrong at university, so my question here is: Why is my solution wrong? And could somebody explain the option 1.) - especially where this ##I=\frac{e\omega }{2\pi}## comes from. o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Blaaaa, ok, nevermind. :D I found my mistake now.

The charge on the cylinder is only on the surface and not throughout the entire cylinder. This changes $$
\nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(r\omega)$$ to $$
\nabla \times B=\mu _0 (\sigma 2\pi l a)(a\omega)$$ and leads to the same result as in option 1.).

:)) thanks, anyway.

Ok, I take that back. Something is wroooong :(

Question: Does one calculate the magnetic field ##B## inside a rotating cylinder with charge density ##\sigma ## ?

What is electric field angular momentum?

Electric field angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational energy associated with an electric field. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the electric field and is used to describe the rotational motion of charged particles in an electric field.

How is electric field angular momentum calculated?

The formula for electric field angular momentum is L = r x p, where L is the angular momentum, r is the position vector, and p is the linear momentum. It is a cross product between the position and momentum vectors.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field angular momentum?

The unit of measurement for electric field angular momentum is joule-second (J·s), which is the same as the unit for angular momentum in general. It is also equivalent to the unit of torque, which is newton-meter (N·m).

How does electric field angular momentum affect the motion of charged particles?

When a charged particle is in an electric field, it experiences a force that causes it to move. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the orientation and strength of the electric field. The angular momentum of the electric field also plays a role in determining the rotational motion of the charged particle.

What are the applications of electric field angular momentum?

Electric field angular momentum has various applications in physics, including in the study of electromagnetic fields, particle accelerators, and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It is also used in the design and analysis of electric motors and generators.