1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field at centre of hollow half sphere

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-1-25_12-3-58.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured you could consider it as infinitely many rings? Here is what I did so far:
    upload_2017-1-25_12-4-55.png

I feel like 0 is the wrong answer. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

For future posts: please try to type in your messages as it is difficult to impossible to read it on mobile devices.

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your notation is confusing. The axis of the rings is the z-axis, but you use the symbol ##x## to denote the position of the center of a ring. Also, you appear to initially use the symbol ##R## for the radius of a ring, but then later use ##R## for the radius of the hemisphere. (The problem statement says the radius of the hemisphere is ##a##.) Also, the symbol for the surface charge density as specified in the problem is ##\rho_s##.

Nevertheless, your final integral looks correct except for the upper limit of integration. [Edit: Should your integration variable be ##\theta## or ##\phi## (if these symbols are defined according to the problem statement)?]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Everything looks fine except the limits of your final integral. Are you sure Φ varies from 0 to 2π?
    Edit: TSny beat me to it while I was typing..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted