Electric field at centre of hollow half sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Cocoleia
Messages
293
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


upload_2017-1-25_12-3-58.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I figured you could consider it as infinitely many rings? Here is what I did so far:
upload_2017-1-25_12-4-55.png


I feel like 0 is the wrong answer. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For future posts: please try to type in your messages as it is difficult to impossible to read it on mobile devices.
 
Your notation is confusing. The axis of the rings is the z-axis, but you use the symbol ##x## to denote the position of the center of a ring. Also, you appear to initially use the symbol ##R## for the radius of a ring, but then later use ##R## for the radius of the hemisphere. (The problem statement says the radius of the hemisphere is ##a##.) Also, the symbol for the surface charge density as specified in the problem is ##\rho_s##.

Nevertheless, your final integral looks correct except for the upper limit of integration. [Edit: Should your integration variable be ##\theta## or ##\phi## (if these symbols are defined according to the problem statement)?]
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
Cocoleia said:
I feel like 0 is the wrong answer. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Everything looks fine except the limits of your final integral. Are you sure Φ varies from 0 to 2π?
Edit: TSny beat me to it while I was typing..