Electric field between -8.0 µC and +6.0 µC charges 4 cm apart

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
joej
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
I'm doing the following problem, it seems to me that I am doing all the correct steps but my answer differs from the answer key, am I missing something?

1. What is the magnitude and the direction of the electric field at a point midway in between a -8.0uC and a +6.0uC change 4cm apart.


This is what I'm doing:

E = ( k * (Q1 / r1^2) ) * ( 1 + ( (Q2 / Q1) / (r2^2 / r1^2) ) )

==

(9x10^9 * ( (8 * 10^-6) / ( 2 * 10^-2) ) ) * ( 1 + ( (6 / 8) / (2 / 2) ) )

==

3600000 * 1.75 = 6300000 N/C


now... that is what I'm getting, could somoen please point out to me what I am forgetting to do, if anything.



__________edit

stupidity strikes again... forgot to square r1
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why write E in such a strange way? (to me anyway)

Use Coulomb's law and the superposition principle.
Calculate the field due to Q1 and the field due to Q2, then add.
 
Hello joej...

The formula for electric field at a point distant r units from a charge Q is:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{r^2}\hat{e}_{r}[/tex]

The direction of the field is radial. In your problem you need to compute

[tex]\vec{E}_{net} = \vec{E_{1}} + \vec{E_{2}}[/tex]

the two terms arising due to the electric fields produced (independently--make a note of this, the superposition principle) has been used here) by the two charges. Have you used this fact? :confused:

Cheers
Vivek